To Know the Game

For the next few weeks before my Capture, I spent all of my free time in the woods, trying my best to keep away from the Den. 

Although I was trying, this day I decided to go back to get some supplies. I could use some of them once I was caught.

I looked around before I went in and saw no one.

Feeling a weird need to stay silent and undetected, I tiptoed across the cave, keeping my breathing slow and quiet. And careful as I was though, I heard slow, light footsteps making their way across the floor and knew it was Elle May.

"Best be gettin'." She said coldly.

I could feel her glare and cussed quietly. "Why?" I argued--just as icy.

"'Cause I said so, Angeline."

"This is my cave too you know. We found it together." I try to speak softly, letting her know we can at least be on speaking terms. 

Obviously, by her reply, she doesn't want that. "I don't care if we found it together or not, I reckon it should be mine now seein' I won't be Captured for a while and you," she paused, allowing a cold smirk to grow on her face, "are just gettin' started."

Tears well up in my eyes but I remember who I am. I can't cry. Not over this silly little arguement. "Fine," I say coolly, "have the Den. Have your supplies. Have your peace and quiet. I can live with just the satisfaction that you 'won't be Captured for a while'."

I get up and walk right past her, expressionless. While walking away, I hear her gasp of astonishment as I leave the cave with some of my materials and smirk.

After that, I'd kept out of sight, and hopefully, out of mind.

Walking home had been pretty peaceful and calm (like usual) until I could've sworn I heard my name about halfway home. I ignored it for a while until it got angrier and louder. I whipped my head around until I located the owner, my cousin Haylee. I gasped and started to laugh.

"Found me?" She winked. 

I nodded my head, "God, you scared me! I thought Elle May's parents or something were following me!"

"I think it was worth it." 

I walked over to her small grocery booth and watched as she squatted down and went through some of her shelves trying to find something. "Ahh..." She said, standing up, "here you go. Maybe for you're last night home dinner tonight?"

"Oh...Haylee!" I exclaim, taking a bottle of apple cider out of her hands. To my family-this isn't much. In fact, it's about worth nothing; to my parents anyway. To me it's worth much more. It must be worth a lot for her to give this away! I smile hugely, "thank you! So much! I don't know if I can let you give me this I mean it's-" 

"No problem, cus." She finishes for me.

Smiling at my goofy cousin, I pull her in for a long hug and when we pull away, silence means everything. Even though, I speak out. "Thank you so much...I love you."

"I love you too." She smiles, "well...better get back to work! Have a good day!"

"You too!" I call back.

* * * * *

As I was walked in the front doors of our house, I cried out, "mother! I'm home! I bought us some apple cider to--"

In mid-sentence, a large impact hits me on all sides of my body. The airs rushes out of my body and it takes me a few moments of fear to realize that the impact was just ten huge men hugging me tightly.