Chapter 6

Amelia arrives back with the books,heavy and hard backed to the last sludge covered one,passing them down the line. She hands us three,spitefully thrusting “The Well-mannered Girl” and two fat bibles into my unwilling arms. 

“Maybe you should take note from the books before you damage them” She snipes,handing Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass that cannot weigh even half of what I got, into Liz’s small,slim-fingered, waiting hands. I return her sickly sweet smile.

“Dearest Amelia,I think you would benefit much more from their instruction on dental care than myself.” Amelia has a rather unfortunate gap between her front teeth,something she continually tries to hide by keeping her lips pursed. It is rather low of me to point it out but I am agitated and fidget from foot to foot. She opens her mouth,no doubt to make some unoriginal remark about my tooth arrangement,which were never the same after that argument with the cricket bat,but Miss Grey cuts her off.

“Right,please proceed to the end of the hall individually so I may assess wether your curtsy does not send young gentlemen falling like skittles.”

I roll my eyes at this as we place the books on our heads. How this is supposed  to heighten our performance, I do not know. We turn and stand in single stately file to the middle of the

hall,before waiting as each of us parade up to Miss grey, try not to stoop, stumble or-heaven forfend-smile,as we watch the our predecessors and learn from their mistakes.

Abigail trembles slightly as she bends but continues without fault. Di’s curtsey is flawless as always. Mary and Vera’s books slide but hold. My sureness has been replaced by a growing anxiety and a gnawing frustration as jemima proceeds through her ridiculously slow performance. If she believes that some gentlemen will take notice of her because of this, she is sorely deluded. Such a pity that no one will attempt to point out this.

Amelia and Lucy continue with correct, if dull,viewings.

My nervousness is growing and my foot taps impatiently. I could always beg Liz to swap a book.

Now that would look ridiculous. And it’s too late now...

I inhale and stride forward. Head up,back straight, toes pointed. I reach our practice monarch.Lowering my eyes dutifully I bend at the knees and sink to the floor, head bowed. a snowflake settling on a leaf. The books twitch as if in warning.

Don’t leave it too long or they’ll topple and you’ll loose what little you’ve gained.

With the will of immortals i raise my head and rise,face impassive,to meet Miss grey’s gaze. She nods curt and sharp, like the blackbirds that congregate in the fields. Their heads knock back and forth like hammers. The urge to giggle is overwhelming.

Don’t smile,however funny Miss Grey might look as a bird you idiot.

I stand, the books quivering and back away to the waiting silence walled in by corsets and closed mouths.

I turn and meet Jemima’s gaze as liz takes her turn,triumphant in my victory. She turns her head to one side,her bottom lip forming a slight pout as she does so. She always has been a sore looser.

I meet Lucy’s eyes and for the second time find the sudden urge to giggle. The surprise and pride at my curtsey have miraculously replaced those feelings of anxiety and the change is almost laughable. Why did I get so worked up?

“thank-you” I mouth. 

“your welcome” She replies and smiles again her radiant smile. The musty dusty hall seems somehow brighter,more cheerful. Then Miss Grey begins to speak again and the whole world slips back into its gloomy shadows.