Love, Revolution Style

By Rhoda D'Ettore

Copyright 2014 Rhoda D'Ettore

Smashwords Edition

Smashwords Edition, License Notes

This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This ebook may not be re-sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each recipient. If you're reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then please return to your favorite ebook retailer and purchase your own copy. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.

Love, Revolution Style

Sept. 1777

The British had captured Philadelphia, the seat of the Continental Congress. The American troops were exhausted, wounded, and spiritually broken. As they rowed their boats down a small tributary of the Delaware River, they found a good place to camp. Battered and bloody, they pushed the boats ashore, trying not to further injure the wounded. The only structure in site was a small farmhouse with a barn. The area is tranquil, and Colonel Thomas is amazed that there is still one place on earth that has not been touched by this bloody war. He was a stern, yet compassionate man in his 40s, a good leader, and sought after his men as he would his children. He took this last loss personally, as his company was from the Philadelphia area, therefore they were truly fighting for their homeland.

"Lieutenant James, take your men to recon that barn and house. See if there are supplies, and be kind to the owners, remember we fight for them," ordered Colonel Thomas. He knew the men had not eaten a real meal in months, and the sight of a stocked kitchen might turn civilized men into beasts. Lieutenant James did as instructed and took two groups of men, one to surround the barn, and another to surround the house. Men might not actually be the correct word, most were in their teens and were scared to death. They were definitely traumatized after this last battle, and suffering from the heat. The cool water of the creek was a refreshing sight, but they had to be wary of impending danger, so playtime would have to wait.

As the first group of men approached the house, a woman came out with a rifle extended. She was quivering in fear, as if she never shot before, but she was determined to protect herself. "I don't want any trouble. You can stay in the barn, and I will provide you with what food I can, but you must leave me and my family alone," she said with a cracking voice which showed her fear. Her long yellow hair was pulled back with a ribbon, and her bright blue eyes were filled with terror.

Lieutenant James approached the woman with a hand raised, trying to relax her. He was a 30 something attractive man, even more so with his rugged looking beard. He had deep forest green eyes, and light brown hair that shined like gold in the summer sun. "We mean you no harm, ma'am. We only need to camp, rest, and tend to our wounded. We appreciate your generosity of nourishment, we are much obliged. If you would allow me, I would like to speak with you, as my men make camp." He then signaled to the men to back away from the home and return to the creek bed.

The woman lowered her weapon, nodded her head and invited the Lieutenant onto her veranda, as she pointed to a wooden bench. To ease her nerves, he sat as she suggested, trying to move slowly. She offered him some lemonade as he questioned her. "Have you seen any enemy troops in these parts?" She shrugged him a negative response. "Do you have any men here that I can speak with?" Again, she shrugged him a no. He realized that she was trying to avoid eye contact out of fear. He then twisted his head to stare directly at her and said, "On my honor as a gentleman, as a soldier, and as an American, you are safe from us." At last her demeanor seemed to relax. She began breathing normally, and her shoulders seemed to slump back to a normal position. A slight smile broached her face.