Love Letter

To My One True Love,

There happens to be seven billion people on this earth, and one of them is you. One of them is me, and together that makes two. Somewhere in this world you are waiting for me. Waiting for that special moment when I sweep you off your feet. I’m writing you a love letter to express exactly how I feel, so that when we meet we can be like friends that were separated by time but conjoined by magic. Wherever you are, wherever you’ve been, or wherever you’re trying to go, I know that your beauty is more striking than anything or anyone that I’ve seen. I can only imagine that you have a strong love waiting for me. A love that is rushing and raging like the waves of an ocean in a hurricane, yet calm like a quiet creek in the woods. When I meet you, falling in love with you will be a three step process, starting with the mind and ending with your beauty.

If you are anything like me, you are deeply intellectual. You tend to over think the ways of life and questions life’s complexity and its simplicity without ever finding an answer to either. You never truly believe something until you see it for yourself, lending yourself to trust very seldom if ever. But its what goes on in your mind that I will fall in love with first. I will spend every waking moment perusing what goes on in there and soon learn of the girl that I was destined to love. Forget the simple “likes and dislikes” that everyone wants to find out; I’m looking for more out of you. I will simply question your belief systems, challenge your reasoning behind what you stand for, and ultimately get a feel for exactly what you think about. A person does not get to know another with mere surface knowledge; that’s what your favorite color or food would represent. A person can only truly know another when the depth of the conversation is of a level where the brain aches and throbs from being overworked. I want to finish your sentences just as you would finish mine. I want a simple gesture or glance to embody a world of emotions and words. I want our love to be something not many people can describe, and quite frankly I don’t know if we would be able to either.

That’s another thing; I don’t want our love to be comparable. I don’t want a Notebook type love, a Titanic type love, or any love that resembles anything quite like what people have seen before. I want to be the pioneer of a love that is unprecedented; and if by chance closed-minded people did compare our love, it would only be that others’ love is compared to us. Because we set the standard of how to love and be loved.

I can only guess that you have a personality like no other. It would hold and express the wittiness and maturity of an aged and weathered woman who has seen the world through the hills and valleys, yet display a young, carefree, and playful childlike mentality that allowed for pleasure to be found in misery. Or for happiness to be found in sadness. Kind of like a rose that grows from concrete. In phase two of falling in love with you, a simple crush or infatuation would turn to genuine care. I would love you on a deeper level than before,  being able now to embrace you for everything you are; at your best and your worst. Your smile would be able to tell me how you were feeling, and I would know by the way you smiled whether you were faking. I would fall in love with the way your eyes would light up over a simple pair of shoes that went on sale for half price. Or I would fall in love with the way you looked at me. In one respect, I would be scared out of my mind because you would see me for who I am encompassing all of my flaws with it. But then I would feel safe knowing that you would look past my flaws and love me for me. Your personality would be accepting of people and wouldn’t create altered realities of people just to feed its utopian fantasy. The utopian fantasy that would be created in your mind would be one that mirrored if not actually was the reality that is this world. And that alone lends itself to make you look more beautiful than anyone else could ever see.

Which leads me to your external beauty, the part that I happened to notice at first but fell in love with last. Most people don’t realize that while this part might expire or tarnish, the inside won’t. I’ve always thought people had it backwards. This society is so preoccupied with vanity that they actually fall in love with looks without ever first looking inside. That is why, I believe, so many relationships fail. Even I know that sometimes a seemingly ripe and shiny apple can be rotten to the core. But I don’t act like that. Despite how astonishing I know you will look, I know better than to fall in love with how you look first. In fact, I’ve already at this point fallen in love with the best part of you. I’ve fallen in love in the deepest way possible. How you look is bonus in my eyes. Speaking of eyes, yours are what I notice first. The way they shimmer and glister even in pitch darkness. They shine with an undying desire to be the most striking orbs of beauty I ever saw. Your eyes are like diamonds. Then I see your smile, those two rows of blinding pearly whites. I know that when I have to wear sunglasses to see you smile, it is genuine. Your eyes and your smile are my two outer windows into the depths of your soul. And when you finally break down your walls and let me see you mentally and emotionally naked, I learn to forget about what you look like and learn to engrain in my brain a vivid image of who you are.

I wrote you this love letter so you may know that I’ve not given up any hope that you might show up one day. I’m just not looking for you. I know that when the time is right, you’ll be right here; and I’ll know. But for now, you don’t exist. I’m not even that thoroughly convinced you are out there half the time, even if I said you were. Because you are just a figment of my imagination, a vital part of my altered reality, my fantasy that I have purposefully turned into my actual reality. I hope you do show up sometime in my life soon. All I’m trying to do every day is write my love story, and I want nothing more than for you to be my main character.

With Love,

Your Hopeless Romantic, Your One True Love