「Chapter 21」

Spring is in the Air (and Darkness is on the Horizon)
—Skylar— 

"The first years are so cute!" Tohru says happily, a wide smile on her face as she chats with Hana and Uo. "It would've been nice to see Kyo and Uo at orientation, though."

"Too much effort," they say at the same time.

"And, even if it wasn't, there's too much pollen outside," Uo complains.

I chuckle, shaking my head.

It's Spring, which means a new year is starting. It's been a week or so since we've been in classes, so everyone's struggling to get into the groove of things. For now, since the bell hasn't rang, the five of us are hanging out around Kyo and Uo's assigned seats. Both of them are lucky enough to be sitting next to the window this semester, so, with the windows open, it's the best place in the classroom. At the moment, Kyo has a comic in his hand, though, barely paying attention to us. I'm sitting on the window ledge next to him, basking in the breeze, with my legs crossed on his desktop, leaving just enough room for Kyo to prop his legs up. Tohru's sitting in front of me, talking animatedly with Hana next to her, but Uo's sitting in front of Kyo, a doctor's mask covering her face thanks to her allergies.

"Where's Prince Charming anyway?" Uo wonders.

"Oh, he and Aly are busy with the orientation committee," Tohru answers brightly.

"Prince Charming might just make class president this year, huh?"

"Bet Yuki would just love that," I mutter.

"Who gives a damn?" Kyo grumbles, stretching his legs on the desk a bit, making sure not to knock my legs off in the process. "Let that stupid rat do what he wants."

"That's not very nice, Kyo-Kyo~" I say.

"Don't call me that, dammit!" he hisses.

I snicker.

"Wait a second!" Uo interrupts our banter, pulling down the mask so we can understand her better. "There are more Sohmas here? What are they like? Boy or girl?"

"They're both boys," Tohru chirps. "One of them was at the cultural festival."

"Go bring them here, Kyo-Kyo," Uo demands, looking at Kyo.

"Yes, fetch," Hana adds.

I laugh as Kyo drops his feet, glaring at them. "Why me!? Why don't you make her do it!?" he growls, throwing an agitated hand my way as I laugh harder. "She probably wants to see them anyway!"

Hana leans in menacingly. "Why would we send Sky to do such a difficult task? We both know her health is terrible."

"But it's okay to make me do it!?"

"Of course," Uo says easily.

I hop off the desk, chuckling a little more just to get it out of my system. "Don't worry, guys; I got it~ I was planning on hunting Aly down in a few minutes anyway~"

"Now look at what you've done." Hana looks at Kyo with a blank face, which is somehow scarier. "You've made her feel bad for you."

"Yeah, Carrot-Top. At least go with her to make sure she's alright," Uo says.

I wave them off. "I'm not totally fragile, you know." I look at Kyo. "But since you seem to be itching to stretch your legs — and we haven't hung out a lot lately — why don't you come with me?"

"You two haven't hung out lately?" Uo wonders as Kyo's face heats up. "Don't you live together?"

"Well, yeah, but Aly and I were working in the mornings since it was break, and Kyo trains in the evening, so~" I shrug.