Chapter Forty-Eight

Every day for the last three weeks my heart had harbored hope to hear something from Scott.

Anything at this point would have been enough.

He hadn't called.

He hadn't texted.

It was like nothing had ever had happened.

There were no bodyguards on my door.

There were still a few paparazzi hanging on the street, though. The sight of them reminded me that it all had indeed happened. That I had fallen hopelessly in love with Scott. Just the sight of them made my eyes brim with tears once again.

Every day there were less of them. It might had to do with the fact that I was completely secluded and I hadn't stepped one foot outside my door and the fact that Sam had completely ignored any camera since the day we talked. The last thing I heard about him was that he had gone back to California and that he had retaken his job back.

I hadn't had the heart to check out the web for Scott's whereabouts. I just used the computer for my work and even though I had the urge to google him, I couldn't.

While I was still confident about the things and decisions I had made, I felt completely heartbroken and disappointed.

My father had been excessively patient with me. My latest designs had been dull and quite frankly depressing. Even I had noticed that. Dad, on the other hand, kept encouraging me and sending me different things to keep me occupied. We had talked over the phone over the last few days and even though our relationship wasn't nearly as close as it once had been, we could hold a decent conversation for at least half an hour. He had decided to stay in LA for Christmas time.

Christmas time.

In a way I was sorry for Hugh and Kate who had to put up with me. Both of them had tried to cheer me up in one way or the other. They had bought an extremely large Christmas tree. Scott, Kate's boyfriend and Hugh's cousin, had come over to help decorate it and they even had made a mixed play list mocking every Christmas carol.

I had been there. But I had been lounging on the couch with a hot cocoa on my hand and a permanent sad smile on my face. Hugh had been happy that at least I tried to smile. Even if I had been a complete sack of potatoes resting on the couch the whole time.

Since my phone wasn't ringing from the one person I wanted to, it was now a forgotten device lying on the bottom of my bed stand. Every time the doorbell chimed, a small ray of hope lighted up in me, but every time had been a complete disappointment.

Hugh had talked me into going with him to Denmark to visit his boyfriend Chris. Well, talking into it was an understatement. I really didn't feel like going, but he hadn't been exactly nice about it. That had been his Christmas present and he had literally shoved the plane tickets in my chest, telling me that I had no choice and that I was going whether I wanted to or not.

My room had been a complete and utter mess. There were a few used clothes on the floor and on my desk's chair and different mugs lying around everywhere, among some other things. After packing some colorful clothes, which Hugh had forced me to or he would have packed for me, I found myself lying around in bed convincing myself to get up and clean the mess since we were leaving tonight.

"Sweetie?" Mom asked after a soft knock on the door.

"How are you doing?" she asked after closing the door after her.

I stayed silent because I really didn't feel like talking to anyone.

The bed sunk after she sat next to me. "I'm glad you're going with Hugh" her green eyes watched me softly.