Chapter 20

The sound of heavy rain against the glass window roused me from my sleep. I turned over in bed and opened my eyes to the empty space next to me. Confused, I propped myself up on my elbows and glanced about the room for signs of Luc. The room, like the bed was empty. The memories of what happened between us burned bright in my head, and for an anxious few moments I wondered if I had done something wrong.

Sitting up I noticed a hand written note set out next to a carton of blood on the black glossy table where my clothes lay in a neatly folded pile. I wrapped the black silk sheet around my body and padded across the cold marble floor to the table. Reaching over I took the note and read Luc’s hand writing:

Dear Mia,

Please stay in bed and rest. I will come home as soon as I finished work.

Love Luc x

p.s. drink this blood.

I dropped the note back on the counter and stared at my dishevelled reflection in the surface of the glossy table. My hair was mess from where Luc had raked his fingers through it. I reached up and tried to smooth it over with the flat of my palm, but gave up after a couple of attempts. It was no good, I would need to have a shower and wash my hair.

Taking my pile of clothes, I wandered into Luc’s bathroom. It was much like the bedroom in its cold and clinical appearance. There were a few toiletries left out on the side along with his toothbrush which I borrowed.

Standing in front of the sink I washed my face and brushed my teeth. After I had finished I found myself staring at my reflection recalling the images and sensations of Luc’s love making.

 “Shit,” I eventually whispered under my breath. I had lost my virginity to Luc last night.

Closing my eyes I remembered what happened after we had finished.

I remembered Luc kissing me on my forehead and asking softly, “How are you feeling?”

I had smiled back at him and told him, “I’m a little sore, but I’ll live.” I said.

Luc hadn’t understood exactly what I had meant at first, but when he realised that I was referring to the pain of losing my virginity, Luc had kind of freaked out. He cursed under his breathe and snapped at himself, “Damn it, I knew I should have been more gentle. I tried to hold back, but I was just so overwhelmed,” he then turned to me and said, “Mia, please forgive me, I was only thinking of myself in the moment… I completely forget that you were a-”

His voice trailed away and I pushed the embarrassing memory from my mind. Anxiously I wondered if that was the reason Luc had left me to sleep instead of waking me up. What happened between us last night had been so wonderful and natural, yet afterwards Luc had acted so strangely, it made me wonder if he regretted it or maybe he was been embarrassed about taking my virginity?

It seemed a stupid thing to be hung up upon, especially considering that his own stupid vampire rules about taking a bride specifically outlines that the woman destined to be his bride would be a virgin who stood beneath the hangman’s tree at midnight.

Then the thought occurred that I may have accidental done something wrong… maybe he did not enjoy it as much as me.

Suddenly I felt sick to my stomach.

I jumped in the shower and quickly washed my hair. Then after I was nice and clean, I got dressed and grabbed my carton of blood to go. I didn’t even bother leaving Luc a note of explanation. I just left.

The building Luc had taken me to was a large apartment complex on the nice side of town. Luc occupied the top penthouse apartment that boasted panoramic views of the town and mountain range in the distance. The Penthouse had its own private elevator which I used to exit the building discretely. I slipped out into the pouring rain without a coat and made my way back to college campus.

With my head bent down, hugged my waist and moved slowly down the sidewalk. I passed out of the nice part of town and moved into the cheaper low rent student area. The campus was not far now, but I was soaked to the bone. Quietly I wondered to myself if vampires could die of hypothermia like humans.

As I neared the campus a black sleek sports car rolled up beside me. The tinted passenger window rolled down and I saw Henrietta leaning over from the driver’s seat.

“Get in,” She yelled.

“I’ll ruin your car interior,” I said pointing at my wet clothes.

“Don’t worry about it,” Henrietta replied.

I slid into the passenger and closed the door. Henrietta adjusted the climate controls and hot air blasted out of the car vents, warming my freezing wet body. Henrietta tutted, "Mia, what on earth are you doing out in this weather? Shouldn't you be in the penthouse resting?"

"I wanted to go home," I said quietly.

"In this freak weather?" Henrietta said with surprise. 

She leaned across me and pulled a box of tissues from the glove compartment and put them on my lap. I took the tissues and began dabbing the wetness from my face. Then trying to keep a neutral tone I replied, "I have things to do ... essays and stuff."

"I should really drive you back there before Luc discovers that you are gone," Henrietta said putting the car in drive and turning around in the road to drive but to the apartment.

"No, please," I cried suddenly, "I can't go back there."

Henrietta stopped the car and studied my expression for a second.

"What happened Mia?" She asked suspiciously.

"Nothing," I began, "I just need some space."

Henrietta paused for a second and said, "Do you still want me to teach you how to block Luc from your head?"

“Definitely,” I replied.

“Okay, let’s go somewhere quiet,” She said.