Chapter Forty: He's Got Competition

Start from the beginning

            Another creepy message from James.

            Turn to your right.

            I did as the text said and rotated to face a giant oak tree. And seconds later, a person emerged from behind the trunk.

            I stepped back, freaked out. But then the person came into view and a grin stretched across my face.

            “Can you get any creepier?” I called out to him.

            “What? I thought you enjoyed the little scavenger hunt I gave you,” James responded, reflecting my grin back at me.

            As impossible as I thought it was, the dude seemed to have grown a few inches, surpassing me in height. His russet hair was cut short and his skin was darker. But his eyes still had that grasping appeal to them and by golly, there was actual facial hair growing on his face.

            “Is that a fucking mustache?” I asked in surprise, pointing at the small tuft of hair budding atop his upper lip.

            “You better believe it!” he gloated, stroking it for emphasis.

            I laughed.

            James strutted over and pulled me into a nice, tight bro-hug, which lasted a bit longer than your average one. But this was the exception. My best friend had been gone for over five years and we were finally reuniting.

            We let go, gave each other a hard stare, and then agreed to take a seat on a nearby bench.

            “So, why’d you drag me all the way out here?” I started. “And how’d you even get inside the gate. It’s code-locked.”

            “I didn’t really want to deal with all the greetings and hugs I’d have to give your family. No offense, but I just wanted to see you. And can you give me some credit? I know every code there is to this place!”

            “Alright, alright. That makes sense.”

            Our small talk kept up a bit longer, but I could feel him trying to get to the subject of Emma. It’d only been a few days since he’d sent me the text to go after her, and the only progress I’d made into it was sending her spam.

            Our current conversation came to an awkward stop and we met eyes. James gave me a hard stare.

            “Have you booked your flight yet or are you still hesitating?” he asked suddenly.

            I hunched over, looking at the ground. My black, dirty Converse stared back at me.

            “Why don’t you go after her?” I muttered. “You’re her ex-boyfriend, aren’t you?”

            James punched my arm, but it wasn’t the usual playful hit. It was harder and it left a stinging sensation that radiated across my body.

            “So, this is how you’re using your second chance?” he sounded angry then. “Didn’t I tell you not to screw this up? And now look what you’ve done. The least you can do is grow a pair and go get her!”

            “I will!” I snapped, meeting his eyes again.

            “Why can’t you just go now? There’s nothing keeping you here! I don’t see what you’re waiting for?” James fought back.

            “Why is this so important to you? It’s not like you two are dating any longer. It’s all up to me now, and I don’t want to rush it.”

            He smiled and looked away and at the garden. There was a long pause and I got more and more agitated by the second. It was really pissing me off how James was pushing me to go and get Emma when he’d just gotten back home.

            “You don’t get it,” he mumbled.

            “Get what?”

            “You don’t think that simply being away from Emma made me not love her any longer, do you? I still love that girl. And I want her back just as much as you do. I’m just willing to actually go and get what’s mine, whereas you’re just sitting around on your lazy ass,” James’ smile turned devious.

            “No need to be so harsh, asshole,” I said. “And I didn’t think you forgot about Emma. I just thought that since you were giving me a second chance, that meant you were backing off. But I see I’ve got competition now.”

            “I never gave up. And I intend on winning,” he said it with such confidence; I was actually worried that I would lose this battle.

            But then I smiled.

            “You’re no threat to me. In fact, you’re nothing. You’ll be leaving here in a matter of weeks, but I won’t be. You’ve still got at least three more years left of school. But I don’t. I’m free.”

            His green eyes narrowed and suddenly we were both on our feet, having a stare-down. I knew that a fight was in our future. I don’t know why, but the two of us always seemed to get physical over Emma.

            “That’s what you think!” he taunted. “But what makes you so sure that I’m not going to drop out? I’d much rather choose Emma over school.”

            “Oh yeah?” I started, but my mom’s shrieking interrupted our standoff.

            Mom was shouting my name over and over in a frantic way that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I knew something was wrong…horribly wrong.

            I gave James a look and he scooted towards the fence.

            “We’ll finish this later,” he glared at me before running out of view.

            I sighed. Once again, we were fighting over Emma. And he’d only been home for a day or so. This was pathetic. I shouldn’t have gotten so defensive.

            “Ricky!” she called once more. “Where are you?!”

            “I’m right here, mom,” I said, popping out from behind a fountain.

            She looked really shaken up. Her usually flawless face was red and stained with tears. She looked liked she’d been crying. Her whole frame was shaking.

            “What’s wrong?” I asked, my voice shrinking.

            “It’s horrible,” she moaned, a fresh round of tears spilling across her face.

            “What?” I asked, harsher this time.

            “It’s Nathan,” she sobbed. “He’s been in a car crash.”

Please excuse the rawness of this chapter. I was in a hurry to post and I didn’t have time to make it longer or edit very well, so there’s some awkward sentences in there. And sorry for the cliffhanger! ;D