Chapter 5 - What Do I Get?

Chapter 5 – What Do I Get?

            Gerome hung from the tree, the rope creaking on the old crooked branch, lifeless. Cheers and shouts erupted from the hooded spirits all around Cooper and Soraya; their mission complete – the murder was dead.  But Cooper had lost a friend, at least in a sense, Gerome had been around him, protecting him since the beginning. He looked next to the dead body where Melissa, the only quiet spirit watched it sway. She held out her hand to steady it.

            Then, one of the hooded spirits near the front of the crowd stepped forward, approaching Melissa. Bursting from it’s back two large wings, 6 feet in length and black as midnight with feathers bouncing some weak moonlight from them. Cooper took a step back and Soraya steadied him. The cloaked-winged figure almost hovered across the grass, it’s hood fell revealing a skeleton face and a bony hand emerged from one of the long black sleeves. Quickly it grabbed Melissa’s arm.

            Melissa struggled to break free, “it’s not my time yet. Stop! Stop!” She shouted as the boney face placed a kiss on her lips. Instantly she burst into flames and a horrific screech silenced the cheering from the crowd. The spirits then darted in all directions to take shelter among the trees. The skeleton, kissed Gerome and he faded away before turning around and facing the panicked and retreating crowd.

            “Run!” Soraya shouted grasping Cooper’s hand and hurrying for the trees. The two broke into the forest and hurried jumping over logs and rocks and the darting spirits scrambled like a jar of spilt marbles.

Hurrying through the forest further and further away Cooper panted, “What was that?”

“That was Azrael,” Soraya shouted back dipping down a small dirt mound and hurrying between narrow branches. Cooper watched her back running, he had never heard that term before. “Or you would call it…the Grim Reaper.” And suddenly, it was all crystal clear to him.

***

3.5 Years Ago

West Hollywood, Los Angeles

            Jake was sweating both from the heat and his nerves. This was his first time dancing, and he was in a fresh pair of underwear with some matching sneakers. Stepping up onto the stage she moved his body. It was only a matter of moments before a guy came up to him and slid a twenty into his underwear. It felt weird but he got into it winking playfully at the older man. Moving his body he felt hot, something he never felt growing up. Back in Texas he was the middle child. His older brother and younger sister were both brilliant. His brother was a football star and his sister got accepted into Princeton. They were both talented and Jake, well he had his looks.

            Jake stepped down and got a drink standing at the bar he was approached by a few older guys but the only guys that seemed closer to his age were drinking around the bar. Still new to LA, his small studio in Culver City.  Walking over to them Jake leaned on the counter his tanned biceps flexing. The two boys, who happened to be Cooper and Parker eyed the Go-Go dancer.

            “Making some good money out there I see.” Parker looked at Jake’s underwear stuffed with ones. “Name’s Parker.” Parker held out his hand.

            Jake eyed it for a moment, the LA inside of him taking over and then he turned to the bartender and ordered a vodka soda. Reaching into his underwear he pulled out a bunch of ones and dropped them on the counter, “a boy’s got to pay his bills.” Jake remarked and winked at the bartender who winked back, sliding over a freshly poured vodka soda.

            “Great,” Cooper spoke up, younger and more energetic than the present day one. His eyes a little less jaded too. “Parker let’s go, this guy is an asshole.” Cooper put his hand on Parker’s still outstretched arm and the two started to walk away.