Sewers - Chapter 6

Harry was getting increasingly infuriated by Thief. She seemed to have no education and little understanding of the spoken word, which didn't help Harry's enquiry about Stephy. And he was getting more and more anxious; about the monster, about Stephy, and about Thief. She was very unpredictable, easily angered and her sword was lying nearby. It was really a matter of time before she picked it up and attacked Harry again.

'Thief,' Harry cautiously started. She looked up at him gladly, recognising her new name. 'I want to find Stephy.' She scowled and sat down, obviously annoyed that she couldn't understand.

'Stephy...' she started. 

'Yes,' Harry urged, 'Stephy. Have- you- seen- her?' Again, Harry had to make stupid movements to get Thief to understand. She sat on the damp ground, resting her cheek in her hand, thinking over what Harry had just said to her. Finally, she shook her head.

'No... young one go with monster. Monster is there.' She pointed behind Harry and he squealed as he spun around. Nothing. Just eerie shadows and gloom.

'It isn't there!' he cried, angry to have been fooled and embarrassed like that. Thief looked confused and surprised, and Harry realised that she didn't mean "the monster is there," rather, "the monster lives through there." Because behind Harry was a gaping tunnel, leading into pitch black and, Harry assumed, certain death. He shuddered and scurried away as a soft breeze moaned through the tunnels and chamber.

'Ugh,' Harry exclaimed, coughing. 'Gross! It stinks!' Thief looked frightened.

'Come!' she cried, grabbing Harry's wrist and trying to pull him along. He wrenched his hand back, bewildered.

'What's wrong?'

Thief roared in frustration and picked her sword up, shoving it back into its scabbard, then turned  back to Harry with pleading eyes. 

'We don't have much time!' she begged. Harry was astonished. Her first properly structured sentence. The sound of crashing water was echoing through the cavern. 'Gates!' Thief screamed, before turning and fleeing.

Gates? What kind of gates?

The noise was getting stronger and Harry noticed the sewage in the canals was rising and becoming more watery.

...Floodgates?

Harry turned and sprinted after Thief as water came flooding into the cavern.