08 // a piece of art.

_____________________________

08 // a piece of art.

I added a flick of mascara, a touch of lip gloss and some blush. Why was I doing this? Why was I applying makeup for work? Now that was something I usually never did. Was it because he would be there? 

I shook my head and closed my eyes. Why was I trying to look pretty for him?

Was it because of his sudden change of attitude yesterday? Last night he was different towards me. He was..nice? Of course he would argue against it and say he was doing it for his baby, but still. I'd been pregnant for four months and this was the first time he actually seemed to care. Maybe I was over analyzing things.

I was definitely over analyzing things.

He told me he would be at the art gallery today and that I could give him his jacket there along with his wallet which I'm sure he's noticed was missing by now.

I held the sketch once more. I was almost sure it was of me.. or at least the woman resembled me in many ways.

.

.

.

I rubbed my stomach, something I usually did when I was nervous or antsy. 

It was three minutes past nine now. Three minutes ago, the bus was scheduled to come but of course they never arrived exactly on time.

"Everything all right?" My boss, Demetri asked me. "You're very fidgety this morning." He looked down at himself and adjusted his velvet purple suit.

"Yup! Everything's fine," I replied with a forced smile. 

I wasn't sure how I felt towards my boss. After he admitted to giving me false websites to advertise my work on saying he was 'preserving me for something greater', my feelings towards him just haven't been the same.

He was a shady bastard- but that shady bastard was my source of income.

"Well, how has your masterpiece been coming along?" His eyes widened with curiosity.

I sighed deeply. "There is no masterpiece.  I haven't even begun to think of what I will do. Mr. Arnette are you absolutely positive that you can't find someone else to do this?" I tried once more to shimmy my way out of this. No doubt this was a great opportunity for me as a budding artist, but as of right now, I had to much other things to worry about.

Demetri sighed, clearly annoyed. He clasped his hands together and gave me a really firm look as he spoke. "If you have plans to continue working here, you will create a beautiful piece of art and you will present it without further objections."

"Is that supposed to be some sort of threat, Mr. Arnette?" I scoffed. "I am the best tour guide you have here."

"Of course not!" He said with a false smile. "I'm just trying to...motivate you!"

I nodded my head slowly, still not convinced. "And the theme is nature, correct?"

"That's exactly right," he replied.

"I have no idea as to how I can work with that!?" I threw my hands up. "Why not change it to something else?"

"The theme changes every year-" Demetri stopped speaking to me and looked over my head. "Looks like our 9 o' clock has arrived."

I quickly turned around to see three large school buses unloading young kids along with adult chaperones.

Demetri ushered all the unworking tour guides to the front as the school filed through the door. The lobby became noisy with people.