The Alpha Who Fooled Me

Chapter 2 - The Alpha Who Fooled Me

Fear them.

It was a simple rule. One that should be easy to follow.

If I'd been anyone else nerves would have been pouring off me in buckets. My palms would be sweating; my heart rate increasing.

Alphas demanded respect with their very presence.

Unfortunately, fear was not an emotion I was all too familiar with. Not much scared me. Not even an Alpha.

Most of the time.

Pictures of every horror movie I'd ever seen raced through my mind as I desperately trying to conjure up the gruesome images, struggling to force some kind of a reaction. A hint of fear I knew the Alpha would smell. A labored breath I knew he would hear.

Nope.

My first kiss. Now that should have pulled some sort of a reaction from me. Embarrassment, if nothing else. A slight flush began to warm my cheeks as a mental reel of my thirteen year old self pushing away from a fair-haired boy and falling straight into the swimming pool behind me began to play, but it was quickly stamped down.

Not even a tiny stutter went out of place from my calm heartbeat.

Come on, I pleaded with my inner wolf as I felt her peeking out through my eyes to assess the Alpha in the room, help me out here. Please. I begged.

She yawned, uninterested. The new mental image that flashed through my mind of her huffing in annoyance had me cringing internally.

This might not end well.

I coughed to keep the huff from traveling from her mouth up through my lips. The last thing I needed was to show disrespect outright to the Alpha whose land I was a trespasser on.

The Alpha cleared his throat, raising a questioning eyebrow, the faintest hint of a smile on his face.

"Glad you could find it in your busy schedule to make it to my class."

I gaped, frozen like an idiot, sure that I at least looked like one as I assessed this new potential threat. He was younger than I would have expected but a little older than my seventeen years. Not Blake's father, I decided, but definitely a relative. The resemblance was uncanny. His eyes were such a dark royal shade of blue they were practically black. It nearly matched his hair, which was Blake's exact shade of dark chocolate. This man's hair was a bit longer than Blake's, I thought, and held a tiny bit more wave, the tips curling slightly around his ears. He was bigger than Blake, too. Muscular where the baby Alpha still had a tiny bit of that strange, lanky teenage faze.

"Sorry." I quipped, reminding myself too late not to look him in the eyes. How long had I been staring into them now, with that deer-in-the-headlights look? A minute? More? Less?

The Alpha leaned back in his chair, tossing a silver square paper weight in the air rhythmically, catching it in one hand then the other without sparing it so much as a glance. The look in his semi-familiar blue eyes seemed positively curious, before I suddenly found the floor very interesting, each new speck of dust infinitely more interesting than the last.

Only an Alpha stares another in the eye for more than a brief second. It's a sign of respect, from Alpha to Alpha.

As equals.

I should have done no more than glance. It should have been instinctual.

My instinct, however, was to growl at the condescending look on his face. The very one that said he had already dismissed me as a threat and I was now nothing more than the latest form of entertainment. An oddity.