Chapter 14

A/n Banner on the side by Anna! :*

Chapter 14

Sam gulps slightly, trying to calm her heart thundering pace. She’s only too glad they have an open bar for this event and as she sips the cool cocktail concoction the barman had recommended.

“Well look at you,” comes the punctuated words of a person Sam’s not all too fond of.
“Ugh, what now, Hanson? Don’t you have some poor, single woman drunk out of her mind to terrorise instead?” she groans swinging her body over to her right to give the cocky blonde a drop dead look.
He just retorts with a wide grin, “yep and she looks mighty sexy tonight.”
As his eyes rake her up and down, Sam can only roll her eyes and mentally shudder at the disgust rolling through her.
“Not interested Hanson.”
“Yeah, I saw. So...that’s how you managed to get yourself out of a lawsuit? Fúck your way out?”
Anger pulses through Sam at that but she reminds herself to reign in that fury before she makes a scene. In fact, the best thing would be to just remove herself from the situation. As she goes to leave, his arm holds her back.

“Oh come on now, Torres, no need to be so sensitive. It was only a joke.”
Sam shoots him a dirty look and tugs her arm back, “whatever. When are you going to learn Hanson, you’re not funny.”
“Sure I am, sweetness.-”
“Don’t ever call me ‘sweetness’.”
“Alright then beautiful. Now how about me and you go for a little spin on the dance floor?”
“How about no?”
“How about you stop being such a stuck up bítch?”
“Sure, ‘cause name-calling’s going to get you far,” snorts Sam.
As they continue bickering, Sam feels herself getting more and more frustrated with the man. Sam’s feels her patience about to snap so it’s a good thing that Adrian appears when he does.

“Sam, everything okay?” he gently asks hand wrapping around the wide curve of her hips.
She tilts her head up and smiles at the concern in his eyes, “yeah, everything’s fine. This is Officer Hanson. He’s...a colleague.”
“I see. Shall we dance?” he asks.
“Sure,” she sighs only too glad to have a break from Hanson and his annoying self. As they slowly waltz on the dance floor, Sam rests her cheek against his chest.

“So...I’m guessing you aren’t too fond of each other,” he insinuates referring to Hanson.
“He’s okay, just annoying...more so than you,” she teases inhaling the scent of his musky cologne and enjoying the feel of a man holding her. She closes her eyes, cherishing the moment. Up until about 10 years ago, she;d held dreams like these. Featuring some handsome, intelligent 'prince' saving her...Then she grew up-shook off the ridiculous notions and learned that she doesn't need a 'prince', not when she has herself.

“Ready to go?” Ade asks hearing the song end and her head still rested against his chest. The woman in his arms feeling like an angel. Is this how his brothers with their mates feel? This sense of warmth and happiness? Is this what it feels like to care about someone deeply?
“Yeah,” softly replies Sam pulling away from him. As the contact is broken, Ade shakes the thoughts from his head. Where the fúck was it going? This is just an arrangement and it’d be best he remembers that.

As they step outside the valet goes to bring around the car, Sam’s face contorts into a frown. He follows her eye-line to watch the co-worker of hers leant against a very ambiguous looking car talking to owner.
“I’ll be right back,” she mutters to him and before he can grasp her back, she strides over across the street into the alleyway. Ade murmurs curses under his breath as he rubs his chin and wonders whether he should follow her or not. She is directly in his line of view and it seems like she’s fine, so he decides to wait and just watch.

“Hanson? Everything okay?” she calls watching as her colleague pulls some guy out of the car and reads him his rights as he gets cuffed. Realising she’s there his gaze flickers to hers and she can see a steeliness in them that she’s never seen in him before; she guesses this must be his ‘on-duty’ persona, where he takes things seriously for once and isn’t fucking around.
“Yeah. Just caught this douchebag dealing cocaine, right outside a Hall filled with law enforcers, “ he tells her and then at the guy he exasperates, “you must be fucking stupid if you thought you’d get away with it.”
Sam switches her gaze to the bald, tattooed guy forced against the car, with an expression of stone on his hard face. He looks like the poster guy for high-security prison inmate and a part of Sam is relieved that she’s not the one who caught him, just so she doesn’t have to touch the creep.
“Oh...okay. You want me to take him in?” she offers only getting a smirk in amusement.
“And you have you take all the credit?” he retorts but when she rolls her eyes and goes to disagree, he just jerks his towards the Hall and says, “nah, it’s alright. You just get yourself home safely.”
She blinks in shock at his chivalrous words having not expected them, “um, alright then. See you tomorrow. Bye.”