Prologue (Revised 3/28/2019)

Copyright @2019 Kayla Krantz

All Rights Reserved

Nighttime shone through the cracks of the boarded up window. It was a strange phenomenon. Not one I would've ever thought about before I had been trapped here. I had always thought of nighttime as dark and dreary, but the moonlight—the starlight—it's actually illuminating on its own.

It had been so long since the heavy doors at the front of the building closed and locked that I had lost count of the days that had passed by. Most of us had; time didn't seem to be important anymore. It's only mention was connected to our rapidly depleting group of supplies. All I knew for sure was that we were all desperate to leave this place we had been imprisoned, but we couldn't. None of us dared to venture outside the walls of our 'fortress' in fear we'd be the next one to die.

Another problem could be seen coming towards us on the distant horizon. If none of us dared to go outside to look at the devastation, then how would we ever know when the coast was clear for us to resume our lives? I worried every minute that it wouldn't clear, and we'd end up dying in here despite surviving everything so far. We were all aware that our supplies were running dangerously low and pretty soon someone would have to go outside to either bring back more or bring news of freedom from our living Hell.

When that time came, it would have to be me.