Chapter One

"I don't get why I am the only one being interviewed, I've told my story multiple times. I have told at least three different detectives now. Why aren't they here? Ask all of them! My story hasn't changed. The one you need to be interviewing is..." I became silent. I knew he had done it and now the sound of his name disgust and scared me.

I used to think of him as a sweet boy. Now I knew his truth. But Why her and not me? Her life was going for her. She already had gotten accepted into her 1st choice college. She had a talent agent getting her gigs every other week. She had the best grades in class and was a shoe in for valedictorian. Why was it her that died and not me? It was my idea. My game. My phone. My boyfriend who killed her.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

5 months earlier

"No, I refuse to kiss him." Vanessa demanded shaking her head.

"Common Vanessa! Your boyfriend isn't even here! Just kiss and don't tell!" I said and nudged her in the shoulder.

"No, mine isn't, but yours is. Did you forget he is the one I'm going to kiss?" She looked at me with concern. I knew that she was my best friend and he was my boyfriend but it seemed normal. I mean if it doesn't mean anything then why does it matters. If only I would have known.

"Just get it over with, I'm fine." I waved my hand for them to go along and do it. She sat there and surprisingly Brett was the one to lean in.

At first I was fine with it, but then I saw something in his eyes just before he kissed her. He obviously was more into her than into me. But maybe I just made it up in my head. I tend to do that. I could tell they were making that kiss longer than usual and it was making me uncomfortable. Greer looked at me and then at Vanessa and Brett.

Greer was one of 'The five,'' along with Vanessa, Claire, Samantha, and myself. Greer was the girl who didn't have to do anything. Her parents spoiled her. She was the only daughter so you would have expected it. She had beach blonde hair which was almost always perfect and her eyes were green like an emerald. She was also the tallest of us and extremely lanky from her height, which makes for awkward dancing.

Samantha just sat there fiddling with her hands. She occasionally bite on her nails when she felt uncomfortable as to what was going on; we've tried multiple ways to get her to stop, but she just naws on them like a teething puppy. She was usually the quietest of the five unless you put a drink in her hand then you can imagine only the things she does.

I cleared my throat, they just ignored it; Brett placed his hands on Vanessa's cheeks, deepening the kiss. "Okay," I practically shouted, the two quickly broke the kiss.

I looked at Vanessa who was breathless and then at Brett who just looked dumbfounded. What the hell did I just see? I know Vanessa wouldn't try to break me and Brett up. Or I at least thought. Brett put his arm around my shoulder and looked at Vanessa with a grin.

"You're a lousy kisser Cortez." He gave Vanessa a smirked and fixed his hair. He liked to have a little swoop in the front.

"Shut up you asshole. You know you loved it." She gave one of her cute laughs and smiled at him. I could tell by her laugh she was being flirty, but I knew she was joking; however, I wasn't so sure about Brett. Then all of us sat in discomforting silence.

"So I heard that new guy, Conner, is coming to school." You know it's always Claire to break an awkward situation, her hazel eyes gleamed with slight excitement.

Claire was the social lite of the five of us. Claire always knows what's going on with anyone and everyone in our town, which really isn't that hard considering the population was 7,500 people. She was actually the one who invented what we are doing tonight.