Jokes are Half-meant

Start from the beginning

Yes. At least, he said, “see you later.” I’m sure he meant about our daily “going home together after class’’ habit. But never a date, of course.

“’See you later?!’” Austin mimicked. “Are you two going together?”

“I told you, didn’t I?” And I’m lying. Obviously. “You have to stop following me around. The boss will get jealous. Okay? Please. I don’t have much time to fool around with someone like you.”

“In one condition.” He said firmly and grinned. He’s planning something I won’t want again. Urgh. What is it now?! “He has to kiss you.”

I almost bursted out all the pork strips I’m presently chewing. What is he thinking? I don’t have any chance. Do I really have to kill this punk just to get him out of my stupid life?! “Are you kidding? Then I’m not doing it.”

“But you’re the one who gave the chance to make a deal,” he insisted. “It’s gonna be now or never. If you won’t take it, I will court you for the rest of your life and my life.”

“Okay. Fine. Deal!” I stood up and shook his hand. I never had a chance. Not even a piece of luck.

The problem now is how to make him steal a kiss from me. After all, it’s going to be my first one. Oh my goodness. I’m so lucky I just want to pop like a bubble and disappear in this world. I can’t take this. I wish I could have some ‘’powers’’ to make him love me.

***

In the afternoon, me and Riley fetched Austin from the Science Club room. After he adjourned his meeting with his club members, we went all together to the place where senior Jadrian and I meet up every sunset.

“I’m excited to see you realize your wonderful regrets,” Austin uttered. I punched his arm.

“Bully.” I teased. He just smiled.

“I’m excited to see you two together, bestfriend!” Riley muttered excitedly. Oh no, please don’t be.

“Whatever happens, I won’t let that old man get you from my grasp. May the best man win.” And senior Jadrian can’t be the best man but he is the better man.

Geez. Stupid monkey. He’s so stubborn I would really love to hang him upside down onto the basketball ring. He’s a piece of crap in my life.

I saw senior Jadrian waving his hands as we approached him nearer and nearer. “Wow, are they your friends? Are we going home all together? That sounds fun!” And now, I hate his enthusiasm. He’s adding the pressure. He’s in a good mood and I’ll surely mess it up.

“Yes, no. But this girl on my right is my bestfriend, Riley. Riley, meet Jadrian. And this boy is my classmate, Austin.” I said to him. They all shook hands. And expectedly, Austin was sending ‘’death’’ glares to our senior. At my sight of senior Jadrian, because of his good control in his temper, he was simply puzzled about it. Nothing much.

“Nice to meet you, punk.” Austin had said a bad word.

“Oh sorry about that, he’s really insecure because of your handsomeness. Haha…” I tried to explain. Senior seemed to believe me but still a bit confused about everything that’s happening.

“So, where is it?” Austin asked and smiled.

“Uh…”

“The what?” Senior asked, curious. What do I say?! Superman, help me! What should I say? My brain’s almost bursting out of my skull!

“The kiss. The kiss you should give her in front of us! It’s in the deal, remember? Haven’t she told you about that? Tsk. This couple’s fake, indeed, eh?”

“No! We’re not --- I mean… Uh…” and as I tried to continue what I’m trying to say, Senior kissed me in the lips for a long time! I can’t even imagine and I seriously thought I was just dreaming. About 12 seconds, I think. I can’t describe the kiss exactly. It was well warm? I don’t know. I’m not that sure. It’s a real kiss, not in the movies which we’re often fake.

And as he let go of his hands which were holding the back of my head a few minutes ago, I tried to hold my giggle as I saw the two’s jaws drop in amusement.

“Congratulations, friend! That’s cute,” she said and tapped my cheeks. “I’m happy for you… and also… you…” she pointed to senior Jadrian, “even though you’re a senior yourself, I wish you could take care of my best friend well.”

“Of course. I will protect her from monkeys like someone out there.” He exaggerated. Clearly blaming Austin. Lol. He’s really funny sometimes.

And the day ended just like that. Still shocked from what had happened, Austin and Riley got home, step by step. Austin, looked like he wanted to burst into tears. Oh, I’m sorry. But, mission’s accomplished, by the way. Thanks to senior Jadrian.

As usual, me and senior Jadrian walked together as we went home.

Silence was still deafening between us. But after a few minutes of awkward quietness, I managed to start a simple conversation between the two of us.

“Um… well… can I ask? Why did you do that? I mean, to be frank, that’s insane! How about your girlfriend?!”

He giggled.“Girlfriend? I don’t have one. We broke up two months ago.”’

“Oh… but that’s not the point. I mean, Senior, I know it’s being ungrateful to say this right now, but you shouldn’t have done that –“

“But I can’t afford to see you get embarrassed in front of your friends. I know the feeling and it’s the worst.”

“But – “

“Look… I don’t have a girlfriend. And I did that because I want to and –“

“You WANT to?”

“I mean… because I want to…”

“What?”

“I want to! Because I want to kiss you! I want to grab the opportunity to be able to kiss you! I’ve been dying to do that but I can’t. Because of that Austin boy, I couldn’t even court you for two years!” he explained, breathing in and out of air hard every now and then.

His cheeks had turned so red he almost looked like a puffed tomato at its peak. Silence, again, dominated the two of us.

But… it couldn’t be…

Senior Jadrian… wanted to… kiss me… and court me… for two years…

This is impossible!

“Senior…”

“It’s Jadrian, just Jadrian…”

“Umm… did you mean that?”

“Yeah, I guess. Why?” he asked, still blushing.

“Because… I like you, too. For two long years.”

He look so shocked. He has never looked so shocked and happy at the same time this year. I was so happy to see him happy. It was the best thing on earth. Now, my feelings changed, I really am thankful to have Austin around! Without him, this wouldn’t happen.

“But what about… Dacey? What…”

“I never loved her. It wasn’t love. Although I thought it was, in the start, but I couldn’t force myself to like her. That’s why… I… broke up with her…”

“Oh…”

“So… we’re together now?”

“I guess… it’s official…”

And I thought the first thing he’ll do on our first hour together is kiss me. But it wasn’t, he took a picture of me on his mobile and kissed it.

“I’ll save this forever…”

And that was only the time that he kissed me. Sweet, eh?