Chapter 1 - Eleven Years Later

11 Years Later…

I spotted Jared sitting on the grassy grounds with a wide grin on his face across my locker, his freckles standing out under the sunlight, his thick dark brown glasses bringing out his light green eyes, the air swaying his curly black hair back and forth. I hurriedly put in a couple of books I didn’t need into my locker and turned around to give him a big hug.

I haven’t seen him for two months, ever since he traveled with his family to Texas for the summer vacation. Now that it was the first day of school, and he was back, I finally got to see him again.

I could’ve just taken three steps towards him before Bradley blocked my way. “Well hello there Jessa-bear, I haven’t seen you in ages.” Bradley smiled. Goodness his smile can stop traffic! His body was so close to me I had to catch my breath in surprise.

“Brad! You just saw me yesterday!” I reminded him taking a step back, annoyed that he blocked my way.

He stepped closer and ambushed me with a big bear hug. “Yeah, but I missed you that much.”

Smooth. Erasing my annoyance with a hug, that’s so just like him.

“Listen, I’m having a party tonight at my place, and I’d love it if you came.” Bradley invited, he put his arm around my neck pulling me closer to him, walking through the halls.

“Brad, you know I don’t like going to your party because of your friends, and not only that, half of the school doesn’t even want me there. It’s useless.” I protested.

Bradley stopped walking and turned to face me, resting his hands on my shoulders. “I want you there Jessa-bear.” Giving me the puppy-eyed look.

Luckily, after many years of practice, I’ve become immune to that look. I ran my hands through his blonde hair, looked intently into his eyes. “No.” I replied with a slight smirk on my face.

I escaped his hold on me and headed towards Jared.

“Jareeeeed!” I squealed as I hugged him.

“Hey Jessa!” He hugged back.

I was just getting comfortable in that hug when he was immediately pulled away.

“Ouch ouch please I’m getting hurt, let me go!” Jared suddenly begged like he was begging for his life, his eyes squinting in pain, and his face showing complete discomfort.

I quickly shifted my eyed to his source of agony and saw Bradley giving him a wedgie. “You stay away from her, understand? Or else…” He pulled his underpants even harder and higher. The whole school was laughing, especially his so called friends, his clique. The people who made fun of me when I was younger.

My eyes widened at the whole scene, Jared was shaking from too much force. “Bradley you idiot put him down!!” I yelled as I tried pulling him away from my helpless friend. He didn’t even budge.

“Jared, Jared, Jared. Letting a lady such as her fight for you, are we?” He taunted him, pulling, yet again, further.

“Brad this isn’t funny let him go!!” I yelled at him punching his back. “Stop being so immature Bradley, now!!”

He finally let go of him with a satisfied smile and Jared fell to the ground almost in tears. I shot down to where Jared was and carefully lifted his head. “Jar, are you alright?” Of course he wasn’t alright, what kind of lame question was that?

I looked up and glared at Bradley.

“What?” He asked innocently. “I was just playing around with him.”