Preface

I was only six years old when I moved to Crilley Falls. Of course a new neighborhood meant new friends. I, Jessabel White, just stood there at the corner watching my mom talk to my dad happily about the new house.

I sulked and went over to my dad as my mom climbed up the stairs and tugged on his slacks. “Daddy, I want to go home.” I looked up at him with the most innocent face.

He looked into my chocolate brown eyes and bent down on his knees. “What do you mean pumpkin? This is home.” He smiled opening his arms out gesturing to the house.

“Well it doesn’t feel like it.” I pouted with my arms across my chest.

“Oh come on, you’ll love it here, give it a chance.” He told me ruffling my hair.

I straightened my crimson red shirt and pushed my caramel colored locks away from my face.

My mom came back down, picked me up, and gave me a kiss on my forehead before putting me back down. “Come on sweetie, let’s go bring in those boxes from outside shall we?” Both my mom and dad held my separate hands, guiding me outside.

The three of us began helping out two men unloading the transfer truck that was filled with our belongings.

About five minutes passed since we started unloading. “Excuse me.” A friendly voice emerged from behind, causing my mom to turn around.

“Hi, I’m Gale Salas; I live next door to you.” The woman introduced herself extending out her hand. She had a beautiful face, fair skin, wavy dark brown hair, and grey eyes that shone out under the sunlight.

“Oh nice to meet you, I’m Amanda White.” My mom exclaimed happily, shaking her hand.” This is my husband, Kyle” She began introducing as she watched them both shake hands. “Over here is my daughter, Jessabel.”

“Well hello there Jessabel, how are you?” Mrs. Salas asked.

I just stood there staring at her, not saying a single word, instead, I was studying the features of her face, I didn’t know why exactly, but I was.

“I’m sorry, she’s just six years old, and she’s really shy.” My mom explained.

“No worries.” Gale assured her and bent down to me once more. “You know, I have a son your age, I’m sure he’ll be more than happy to be your friend.”

At that very moment, a school bus just stopped behind the truck, the doors opened, and a little boy with dirty blonde hair stepped off.

“Bradley!” Gale called out. The boy looked over to his mom and walked over to her. “Bradley, these are our new neighbors, say hi.”

“Hey.” He said with a huge smile on his face before he ran off.

The grownups began talking about their jobs and the weather when I walked back to my house and sat on the porch staring at them.

“I’m guessing you’re their daughter.” Bradley told me when he came over, crossed arms, with a finger sticking out pointing at me.

“What’s it to you?” I retorted, mot really looking up at him.

“I’m just asking Mrs. cranky pants. Anyway, let me guess your name.” He suddenly said with a grin. “What does it start with?”

This was a random and a bit weird, but nonetheless, I gave him a shot. “It starts with a J and ends with an L.” I hinted.

“Hmmm, is it Janelle?” He guessed.

“That ends with an E, genius.” I lighted up, enjoying our little game at hand.