Chapter 7: Play it Vivace!

C h a p t e r   S e v e n

My relief was short-lived as I saw he bent to pull out a metronome and clanged it on top of the piano rather menacingly. A large file filled with what I presumed were music sheets soon followed and I gulped, looking away quickly, and pretended to be looking at the pond outside the window. After some rustling, he cleared his throat.

"Right, you ready to impress me, Miss Rose?" Jasper asked dangerously, putting on a pair of glasses from nowhere. I did a double take... since when did he wear glasses? Even though they fit him so well I knew it meant that he meant serious business.

I gulped again. 

"I'm r-ready." I replied sternly towards the piano and cracked my wrists to warm them up. Okay, so I didn't impress him with my essay writing, but certainly, I'll prove my point with my piano playing.

"Before you start, I'll be right up and frank. I'm also very serious when it comes to the piano, even more than I do English. I know I said that I'll try not to give you too much of a hard time, but I can't promise anything now for sure without hearing you play. Just... don't take anything to heart for what I may say after okay? Sometimes the right criticism is the only way you'll improve. Remember, this is what it takes to stand out as a pianist."

I nodded nervously, suddenly feeling unsure about my skills as my fingers inched towards the piano keys anxiously. 

"Right, show me what you got. Where's that arpeggio I asked for? We don't have all day."

Startled at the suddeness in his deep voice, I snapped my head straight and readied myself before hesitating.  "Um, sorry Mr. Green but which arpeggio? Y-you didn't tell me which one!" It wasn't my fault, he really didn't say anything.

"Bb minor."

"Oh okay–"

"Then followed by Bb major, go down the list, then do your harmonics. After that I want to hear your chromatic scales–" He continued, flipping to a new page on his notepad. "Broken chords next and then regular scales and contrary motion. All should be done one after another with no pauses. That should be good for the warm-up."

I wanted to stop him right there. One at a time please, I couldn't keep up!

"Then followed by your list A through C, then I'll hear your leisure extras each— your best two. Well, please start. We've already lost enough time."

I blinked slowly, which was I meant to start off with again?
I think it was my Bb major arpeggios or was it the minor? I sat there wiggling my fingers on the keys without playing a note, willing my memory to recall.  I don't get how he expected me to remember everything he'd said.

"Chop chop Mary, I'm not going to repeat myself," he sniffed with a waiting eyebrow. Somehow, Mr. Green has transformed from that charismatic and easy-going English teacher to an old grumpy, mid-century piano teacher; two polar opposites.

As Mr. Green sat waiting expectantly with his arms crossed, I quickly understood that only technical skill mattered in his realm.

"My name's not Mary," I blurted out rather unintelligently. I didn't know what else to say other than admit that I wasn't a very good listener.

"I don't care, Mary Rose. Now play me that Bb minor arpeggio!" 

Ha! At least that tricked him into re-telling me which scale to play. With one hurdle over, honestly, that was just the start of my troubles. I took a deep breath and began to play my scales. 

___~🖤~___

I finished the last cadence of my song, holding my last chord in place counting four counts before lifting it gently off the keys. My heart was still beating a million miles per hour and sweat bore across my brow. 

At last I'd finished the demanding repertoire he asked for. It had been so nerve-racking to play in front of a new teacher who was judging me so intently, let alone one as accomplished as he was. My fingers never did stop shaking, especially when I could hear the all scribbling in his notebook whenever I made any mistakes.