00 | sneak peek & foreword

THIS IS AN UNEDITED AND SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT VERSION OF THE MISFORTUNES OF LOLITA. I AM PUBLISHING IT IN FALL 2021—PLEASE FOLLOW ME ON IG @/ls.akhter and GOODREADS (L AKHTER) TO STAY UPDATED. I am so excited to share TMoL with you again.

| eight months before |

SHE HAD THIS thing about her that drove him insane.

When it got cold in January, she started wearing a bulky black jacket, which only made her look chubbier, and her upper body was disproportionate to her lower. She wore it, every fucking day, and when she took it off at her locker, throwing it inside, there would be little feathers on the back of her sweater - which was also loose, by the way - feathers that got there from her ugly jacket, and she wouldn't even try to get them off of her. She walked around like that, all day.

And it drove him insane.

She was a sad story, told twice over. When she walked, sometimes he noticed the blue acrylic paint stain on her left pant sleeve, and it drove him insane. She laughed too much, too. She laughed loudly, at every fucking thing, and she stood in the hallway sometimes with one of her friends, watching people as if she was trying to understand their past. She was always trying to understand.

He wanted to tear the sadness away from her limbs.

And her hair. He wanted to poke his fingers into his eyes, right about now. Her hair was the colour of midnight. Or just when the dusk fell and the dark night closed in on the world-that was her hair. And it was long, and when she laughed, it looked longer. She laughed with her head thrown back, and her hair danced like it was a living, breathing thing.

He thought about it, sometimes. He thought about how it would feel to run his fingers through her hair.

But then he remembered that she was Lolita, and goddammit, no one could love Lolita.

Not even Lolita herself.

---

foreword:

This story is very close to my heart, and it took me a lot of courage to post this, because certain aspects of the story are personal to me. The Misfortunes of Lolita is for every victim, every underdog, every outcast out there who believes that no one can fall in love with them.

It's for every person who thinks that they're a sad story, told twice over.

I swear to every single one of you. I swear to myself. I will prove that yes, you can be loved. I can be loved.

Thank you.

[THIS STORY IS IN THE PROCESS OF A RIGOROUS EDITING PROCESS, CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM IS WELCOME. Please understand that I wrote this a while ago so there might be a few mistakes/lack of realism--I'm getting better as a writer and learning. I think this story has a lot of potential, and I believe it can go somewhere. A lot of readers have suggested that I try to publish it, and the editing is a part of that process. Thanks.]

playlist:

The playlist/soundtrack for this story is linked in the external link.

trailer:

You can watch the trailer for this story on the side.

disclaimer:

This is a work of fiction. Any similarities to any person/thing is purely coincidental.

warning:

Contains swearing and deals with themes of depression and bullying.

copyright:

Copyright © 2014 by losangelesque

All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the author except for the use of brief quotations in a book review. This book or any portion must not be posted in any other sites, including social media, for anything other than promotional purposes with the permission of the author. Any infringement of the copyright is punishable by law.