Different

I grab Jared from the lunch line and pull him outside. It's a sunny Friday afternoon and after serious debating in my head over night, I've finally decided that we can't move on in our relationship until I tell him the truth about my life.

"What do you want?" he asks. He doesn't look happy to see me. I guess I am interrupting his lunch.

"I want to show you something," I say and kiss him quickly. He nods at me and smiles briefly.

"It's the middle of school, can't it wait" he grumbles.

"No, I might chicken out before then". I pull him next to the gate. "We just sneak out, come on. Where's your sense of adventure?"

"Where's your sense of detention?" he asks seriously. A car drives through the gate so I take the chance, pulling Jared with me. We grab the bus into town. Jared barely talks to me. I keep trying though.

"This is fun". He shakes his head but smirks, his hand slipping into mine. He kisses my forehead before we get off. I run down the street and into an alleyway beside the coffee shop and flower shop. I wait for him to stop and look at me strangely, waiting for an explanation while I've brought him into an alleyway in the middle of the day while skipping school.

This is it, time to show him my secret. He pulls me close and asks, "What do you want to show me?" I kiss him quickly. No second thoughts.

"Don't freak out". I smile before turning around and running forward into a bright light then appearing behind Jared. Teleportation. This has made life so much easier, especially when getting to school with five minutes to spare.

"Ta-da," I say happily. Jared staggers backward in fear, his mouth wide open in astonishment, I hope. "I know, I teleported but how cool is this?"

"How did you... I mean what are you? Some sort of mutant?" Mutant? I've never thought about it.

"I wish I knew," I say. Ever since I turned eighteen, these powers have been getting stronger. I've been waking up in different places, moving things without touching them and hearing things like the next-door neighbors fighting and we're a detached house. It's sometimes unbearable at school until I stick my headphones in. I took me a while to figure out how to teleport but I eventually got the hang of it.

"How is that even possible?".

"It just happened. I don't know how or why?" I tell him.

"Then, did you not think to find out?"

"What? So, you think I'm going to tell my mom, 'oh yeah I can teleport'. She'd send me to a mental hospital, maybe even to get tested on by scientists" I yell. Why isn't he understanding me? I'm a freak now, what normal person can teleport?

"This isn't normal, this is weird. I- I don't want you to come near me again". He shoves me out the way and runs faster than he's ever done before. I've just told him a secret, a big secret that I can't even tell my mom. And he just runs off. I didn't run off when he told me he used to have an imaginary friend when he was little. I mean, of course, this is a bit different but still.

"You've got powers". I freeze, the voice sends chills up my spine. I made sure no one was here before I did. I turn around to see a boy leaning against the wall with his arms crossed.

"You were spying on me?" He walks forward into the light. He's wearing a blue jacket over a white t-shirt that is flat against his toned chest. His black jeans are crinkled at the bottom against his blue sneakers. His hair is cut short in layers, his front spiked up. His eyes are a deep brown colour, matching his hair and he's looking intently at me, trying to work me out.