Part 38

“How is he? Is he eating alright? Have any girls taken a liking to him?” His wife asked.

“Calm down, not so fast,” he replied slightly taken aback by her eagerness for news.

Sarine was listening.

“Go and play in the garden,” he told her, and after she left he spoke to Salinas, “He has eaten meat, and was sick, but he is eating bread now and feels better. I think he has also developed a liking for wine. I have introduced him to the kitchen where most of the eligible women work, but we cannot rush things, he must make his own choice… as I did.” He looked intently at his wife.

She came to him and hugged him, “He concerns me so, I do not wish to lose him.”

“I know,” he replied as he held her in his arms and stroked her hair.

Chelnuk returned to Gilleen, She engaged him in conversation, “I thought I would never see any of Kendra’s family, he ups and leaves and never seems to be around at night. What is your mother like?”

Munching on a piece of bread Chelnuk tried to answer as best he could. “She is really nice, always plays with me, cooks well, looks after us.”

“It is strange we never see her at court, where do you live?”

“It is difficult to explain…”

Just then a younger woman dropped a large wooden bowl full of peelings on the floor quite close to them.