Chapter 3

Miriam

Satan, that was close. I found myself in the dark, dank "welcoming" halls outside my quarter. A putrid smell was wafting from the sticky-looking walls, and a thick steam rose from the floor; the path dipped in the middle as generations and generations had heavily tread upon its stone. Of course, I could barely see now as the snow from above had blinded me, as had my entrance. The use of fire was dramatic for demons, but impractically as it almost burnt my eyes out. Nonetheless, it let me flee from that angel...

Who was he? Why was he so interested in me? And why can't I stop thinking about him? Yes, panic had led me to believe I was in love with him. That was obviously not the case: it was impossible. Lust maybe, but even that was difficult to direct at such a holy and pure creature. Pushing the thought from my mind, I set about the task of navigating my way through the tunnels until I approached a dim orange glow.

Stepping out into the huge chamber, my eyes finally adjusted to the fiery glare that beheld me. The chamber was similarly shaped to an ancient amphitheatre, a memento to the glorious corruption that the Romans had unleashed onto the world. However, only rocks and flaming torches met her eyes where a cloudless blue sky would have met countless Roman citizens. They were in the pits of hell after all. 

At the far end of the circular chamber, 

"All rise," growled a low voice that rumbled around the cavern.

Shit! Rushing to take my place in the massive throng of people, their arms waving in the air and mouths chattering excitedly, I take a good look at the voice's body. 

He practically oozes an aura of power.  He wore a coat of red silk satin over a robe of ebony silk that fluttered in the non-existent breeze. Completely bald. Coal black eyes. Tall and muscular. I won't bore you with the details. It was the body of our Commander. He's more of a mentor with a capability to discipline with corporal punishment. Being a legion of lesser demons, he trusts us to wreak and destroy with responsibility. That is, don't get caught. The best graduate to become fully-fledged Archdemons, something any impling spawn dreams of when they're tucked in at night by their darling procreator. With this status, a mere demon could gain powers they only dreamed of, and meet the being who controls all we know: The Devil.

"Children, children. Calm yourselves. You worthless pucks do not understand the honour that it being given to you." He sneered, causing me to tingle all over with hatred. Commanders were supposed to help us reach our target, but their jealousy led them to talk down to us whenever they could.

"Peace Veneni, our little soldiers deserve praise."  The sound echoed across the room, impossibly loud and impossibly hushed simultaneously. Many looked around to see where the voice came from, but none could see him. Then it hit me. The voice was coming from inside our own heads. Which meant only one thing.

We were being addressed by the Devil himself.

"Listen my warriors. A grave state has spread across the world. Despite all your hard work, those that walk the skies are winning our immortal battle. In these times of desperation, I ask of only one demon's help to solve our problems. Eternal glory shall greet you if you succeed, and if you fail me, a fate worse than death. But succeed you will as..."

"I volunteer for this grave task, Master! I will not..."

"SILENCE FOOL." He didn't even need to shout to be heard, as his every word drilled into our skulls. I felt his fury in the pit of my stomach before a cry was heard behind me. Turning around I saw the boy who had interrupted cowering on the floor. Beads of sweat were dripping off his face and grimace led me to believe that the Devil was torturing him with endless pain. Fear was screaming from his eyes, until they darkened and lay still.

"Be that a lesson. But succeed you will as you will have my guidance with you always. My plan will lead you deep into enemy territory. You will become a spy. You will gain their trust. I shall disguise you as a mortal with the Sight who dreams of becoming heavenly. They will trust you enough to tell you those secrets of success that even I did not know when I walked among them. You will not fail me."

"You will not fail me, Miriam"