My...Stepbrother? {12}

***Trace’s POV***

                “You’re gay?” I asked Zeke for the millionth time as we sat in my bedroom. Kory was out shopping at the mall with his mom, the little faggot.

                “Yes, Trace, I’m gay. Asking me a million times isn’t going to change my answer,” Zeke said simply. He sighed and leaned against my bed post, staring at my ceiling. “Just don’t hate me for it, Trace,” he begged silently.

                “What do you want me to do? Lie and say I’m happy about it?” I snapped. “You’re a fucking faggot Zeke!”

                Zeke sat up and gave me a sad look, shaking his head. “No, I’m Zeke. I’m your best friend. I’m not a faggot,” he said quietly.

                “You told Kory before you told me,” I hissed, venom dripping from my words. “You told him first.”

                He looked at me and nervously bit his lip. “You’re mad. I know you’re mad. Hell, I know you’re hurt,” he said slowly.

                “I’m not hurt! I’m just mad!” I snapped angrily.

                Zeke let out a bitter laugh. “Trace, please. I’ve been your best friend since we were three years old. If you honestly think I can’t tell when you’re hurt, than I’m insulted,” he said flatly, looking into my eyes.

                “Why did you tell Kory before you told me?” I demanded, pretending he hadn’t just spoken. Of course I was hurt. Why would he tell some kid he just met before he told me? I had been his best friend for 14 years!

                “I didn’t tell you first because I was scared. I asked Kory how he could do it, and I just kind of came out to him. I knew he wouldn’t judge me. And then I blurted that I liked him. I was scared to tell you because I didn’t want you to stop being friends with me over it. Face it Trace; you’re a homophobic asshole. You know it’s true,” he said with a shrug.

                “So now you’re just going to pretend I don’t even exist and spend all your time with my stupid faggot of a stepbrother, huh?” I asked sarcastically, regretting the words as I spoke them .Some things just weren’t meant to leave the comfort of my thoughts.

                “Trace, I’m not going to do that. You know I won’t. I…Trace, I won’t abandon you. I never would. You’re a complete asshole, but you’re still my best friend. I won’t leave you like…Well, I won’t leave you,” he said quietly.

                I won’t leave you like…

                Like my mother. Like my sorry, excuse of a mother. The only thing that bitch had ever done was birth me. That was the only motherly thing she ever had done or ever would do in her fucking life.

                Kory was right. I was jealous, and I knew it. But I would never admit that, especially not to someone like Kory.

                I couldn’t help it. My mom had gotten so caught up in her work that she neglected her only child. I was terrified that would happen with Zeke. He would get so caught up with Kory that he would abandon me. I couldn’t go through it again. I had barely managed to get through it with my mom.

                “I don’t like Kory. He’s hyperactive, immature, and just plain annoying,” I growled.

                “Well I do like him Trace! Can’t you just be happy for me and support me?” he begged, his eyes pleading.