Chapter 35

The wind rushed past Akira as she fell. Adrenaline pumped through her veins with both fear and excitement mixed in. What felt like an eternity to her was no more than a second in reality. She hit the roof and rolled over on impact. Her academy suit helped to protect her from most of the fall. What was left of the pain, she didn't feel in that moment as adrenaline pumped through her.

When she came to a stop, her eyes flew open, and she jumped to her feet.

Perfect. She stood by one of the four towers. Not giving herself time to catch her breath, she ducked behind it.

She wasn't a second to late as there was a 'whoosh', and a black shape shot past in hot pursuit of Redemption. The tower had done its job and obstructed the dragon and rider's view, making it impossible for them to have seen Akira drop below them.

Akira watched for a moment as Fury sent another fireball after Redemption. The white dragon dodged easily, making a sharp turn and disappearing from her view as he dived. Without a rider on his back, he was finding maneuvering easier than Fury.

Go! Redemption's voice urged.

Not needing to be told twice, Akira turned and sprinted across the roof, heading for the other end. She pushed herself on, urging her legs faster as she ignored the tightening of her chest from the exhaustion that was setting in. Timing was everything; she couldn't let anything slow her down.

We're coming around, Redemption informed her.

Akira didn't reply. She was too busy trying to keep up the pace.

Redemption would have flown around the castle wall, and he should be coming across the side she was running to. Fury would be in pursuit yet a good distance behind, as the lack of Akira's weight would have made Redemption able to fly faster. Redemption's constant dodging would hopefully not let Fury or Haiden notice that Akira was missing from Redemption's back.

As she approached the edge of the roof, Akira took a split second to search for Redemption's mind. Upon finding it, she looked through his eyes. What she saw told her that he was flying lower than she had expected. It didn't bother her as much as the fact that he was already about to round the corner.

With a sense of urgency, Akira pushed herself harder. She ignored her screaming lungs and her legs that felt like two heavy logs. I need to go faster for this to work!

It's a long distance across. We're pretty far down, Redemption warned.

I know. Gritting her teeth, Akira pushed for the edge, not slowing down in the least as she got closer.

You need to go for it, now! Redemption warned.

Akira gritted her teeth harder. Her heart was pounding. This is crazy! Her mind screamed. She ignored it.

In the next moment, she reached the edge of the roof. Without hesitating, she pushed off with all her might and went soaring through the air.

For a moment, she felt like she could fly. It was as though she could spread her arms and soar up in the air. She could clearly see the rain clouds in the distance as they made their approach. Yet, for the moment the sun still shone, bathing her in its warm rays as she flew. That was when she received a rude awakening as gravity kicked in, and she plunged.

She found herself staring at the approaching ground. Her mouth went dry. Whether it was from the wind or from the fact that she just realized how crazy this plan really was, she didn't know, but what she saw made her stomach churn.