Chapter Sixteen: Part 1

Chapter Sixteen

Alice Ruins a Lovely Party

            Several weeks went by and Alice tried to forget the visions, banishing them to the back of her mind.  After all, she believed Shakra was right - she was what she made herself.

After some persuasion she continued her practice with glamours, telling herself it was only small magic. It annoyed her that Tricia ended up being better at them then she was.  Alice took it as a sign that her ego was getting too big and tried to squash the indignant feelings.  She practiced holding a glamour all day Friday in preparation for Saturday night.  When she let it go at the end of the day with a satisfied smile, Gabriel stared at her in bafflement.

“Weren’t you just wearing a black skirt and a green shirt?”

            “Yes.” Alice grinned at his expression.

            “Now you’re wearing a red shirt and blue jeans.”

            “Yes.”

            “When did you change?”
            “I didn’t.” Alice struggled not to laugh.

            “Wha…oh, I get it. You’re practicing.”

            “How did I do?”

            “Obviously I couldn’t tell the difference.” He shook his head. “That’s very disconcerting.”

            “What are you wearing tomorrow?” she asked him, smiling.

            “I’m doing it the proper way and renting a costume.”

            “You think I’m doing it the improper way?” Alice made a face at him.

            “I think it’s cheating.”

            “It is not!” She thought about the Wizard who had made himself better looking at the bar. “Okay, maybe it’s a little like cheating, but it’s cheaper than renting a costume.”

            “True. Are you prepared for tomorrow night?”
            Her stomach lurched at the thought. “I’m as ready as I’ll ever be.”

            “You’re still determined to ask about that girl, aren’t you?”

            “Maya, and yes, I am.”

            Gabriel sighed. “Oh geeze. I hope you don’t offend him too mortally. I don’t feel like being hit by a lightning bolt or something.”

            “He’s not Zeus, and he wouldn’t attack us in front of other people.”

            “How do you know that?” Gabriel asked crossly.

            Alice shrugged noncommittally, but she remembered the feeling of touching all that magic, the electric tingle of power it had sent through her body. How easy it would have been to lift one hand and blast someone away. The amount of magic in the ballroom was about three or four times the shop’s contents.  She shivered just thinking about it.

            “You have a really weird look on your face.”

            “Do I?” She turned away, deeply thankful that Elves didn’t have mind reading power.