Liesel

Ever had a moment which would change your life forever? One word, glance, or movement can make it or break it for you. Well, I feel this way every day. After all, it’s the life of a thief to toy with the noose.

Still, there are reasons thieves exist. The good thieves—the ones who never get caught—the stealing spirit is in their blood. As it was in mine.

The only difference being that I was caught by surprise from someone unexpected. A police officer.            

It wasn’t who he was which caught me off guard. It was what he was able to do. All it took was one look into his ice blue eyes and I heard every thought in his head. One thought which stays with me is the thief is a girl! It’s as if he was amazed a girl could be capable of taking the priciest museum artifacts in New York City all by herself. Still, it shook me even more when I saw him back up against a wall and see him graze his hand sharply against the stone…and I felt that slight pain in my own hand.

Both of us surveyed each other for a moment before we both asked, “Who are you?”

“Liesel,” I immediately blurted out. Wanting him to hear my name out loud instead of in my head. “Yours?”

“Walker,” he replied as he put a hand to his head. “How can I hear your voice when you’re not speaking? H-how is that even possible?!”

“Same to you Walker,” I responded as I went towards him. “Can you read what I want to do with you right now?”

“Yes. You’re debating whether you should knock me out and be on your way, or kiss me until your lips bleed,” he answered.

"So which one are you up for?" I asked him.

"You can read my mind," he said exhaustingly. "So, you tell me."

I leaned towards him and sigh as I bonk my head so hard with his that he passed out. "That's what you get for being such a goody-goody," I whispered as I bent down to brush my fingertips to his lips.

Walking out of that museum with my loot I remembered how I felt. I felt like someone tore my heart out of my chest and crushed it via combat boot.

You would have thought that was enough of a reason to walk towards Walker and take him with me. It wasn't enough. Not then, and certainly not now.

Unbeknownst to Walker I have watched him in the shadows. I saw him arriving happily to work in his NYPD uniform. Always stopping in front of the building as if he couldn't believe he was living his greatest desire. I also saw him arriving to his home to kiss his girlfriend--a girl he's been engaged to for two years. How do I know all of this?

I have my resources and I'm not going to rat them out now. The point is, ever since the night of the museum I have been perplexed. The worst part is when I can feel his pain.

In fact, it's why I'm at Mount Sinai hospital outside of Walker's hospital room. The problem is, I can't seem to open the door. I just can't help but think that when I open the door, I'm opening Pandora's box.

"Hello, are you lost?" asks a young nurse with bright pink scrubs on.

"No, I'm just not so eager to go inside," I tell her.

She grasps the door knob. "Don't worry, I'll get the door for you." Before I could tell her not to, she pushes the door all the way open.

"YOU!" is the first word I hear when I step into the room. Liesel is the first thought I hear and I almost tear up when he thinks it.