Charlotte winced. Even the mere thought of his name send jolts of pain prickling her heart. She wondered if anybody had ever died from sheer mortification. Because Charlotte felt like she would. The thought of facing him again sent shudders down her spine and Charlotte trembled violently.

He did not love her.

The thought echoed in her head, squeezing her heart in a cruel grip. Lord she was foolish and the man was absurdly egotistical, blind to his own feelings and too proud to admit them.

He did not love her.

By God she swore that he did. All the signs, all of his unexplainable behavior – all of them lead to one possible answer. Nevertheless, nothing mattered if he would not own up to them. His blatant refusal, they’ve hurt her.

She did not see him at breakfast when she had descended down into the dining room and for that Charlotte was thankful. Because her eyes were bloodshot from crying and staying up most of the night before, Charlotte strayed away from the activities throughout the rest of the day. In the afternoon Charlotte took a stroll through the ground, hand in hand with Samantha when a procession of carriages and horses pounded the driveway of the manor. There were three carriages in total; all of them were painted black and maroon. Charlotte heart leapt when she saw the gold, red and black colored crest – the crest of the Duke of Hartington emblazoned proudly on the doors.

The Duke is here!

Charlotte squirmed in the lavish velvet padded seat. In front of her sat the small and skinny frame of the Duke of Hartington, one of the most powerful men in England. Although age had sucked away the vigor of youth from his body, His Grace’s likability remained very much intact. In his lips sat a benign smile, warm and friendly. Upon closer scrutiny, Charlotte thought that she would find the Duke quite a pleasant company, if not a desirable fiancée. The duke clasped his hands on top of the table. Charlotte’s eyes were immediately attracted to stare at his almost translucent skin, exposing a network of blue veins underneath. “Ah, my dear Lady Alistair. How lovely it is to see you. Are you well?”

Charlotte tore away from her rude stare and looked up to meet the Duke’s rheumy eyes. “Yes, I am quite well your grace. And you?”

Lord Sheffield smile widened fondly. “For an old crone my age my fair lady, I daresay that I find my health satisfying. Now my dear, tell me the pressing issue that you wanted to talk to me with.”

Charlotte fidgeted and her fingers were fiddling with her handkerchief in result of nervousness. She lowered her eyes to stare at her lap. “Truthfully, I do not know how to begin your grace.”

The duke leaned forward to encourage her. “Do not worry my dear, I am all ears. Go on ahead and speak your mind.”

“It… it is about the engagement your grace.”

“What of it?”

Drawing air into her lungs, Charlotte began. “Well, I understand that this is very unorthodox and I am speaking out of line, but as flattered I am that Your Grace thought that I could be a fit wife, however I must decline your offer.”

“Decline?”

“Yes.” Charlotte replied.

The duke’s brow crinkled in confusion. “Why?

“Pardon me for speaking my mind your grace, but I had made a promise to myself that, if someday I should marry, I would marry for love and I very much wanted to honor that promise.”

The duke nodded. “And you do not love William. I understand.”

Relief swept all over Charlotte and she nodded vigorously. “Yes I do not love…” Her heart skipped a beat and Charlotte faltered. “William? What does Lord Sheldrake has to do with our engagement?”

Lord Sheffield leaned back in equal confusion. “Ours? No, my dear lady. It is to my grandson you are betrothed to. Did your father not tell you?”

Charlotte’s heart tripled it beat and small red spots marred her vision as comprehension dawned.

Grasping the armrest of her chair, Charlotte croaked, “Lord Sheldrake is my fiancée?”

***

DUM DUM DUM!! 

all the bells are ringing and Charlotte now discovers the identity of her fiancee!!! what do you think she will do? will she flip out? most definitely. Will she physically harm William? Most probably. 

Tell me what you think? TELL MEE!! 

Love you all, Ariel.