Chapter 33-Relief

Chapter 33- Relief

-Emma-

My heart was racing a mile a minute and my palms were sweaty with anxiety. My whole body shook with unsettling nerves. This shouldn't have happened, I was suppose to take the bullet not him. Why did he jump in front of me? Why couldn't he just let it be?

I was currently waiting in the emergency room of the city's hospital. Just being here just makes my nerves skyrocket. Waiting patiently for the results, but the waiting was much more dreadful then the news that would come. I kept replaying the scene over and over again in my head, so many things I could have done from keeping this from happening, but yet I did nothing, not a thing.

I felt a hand placed on my shoulder and when I looked up a pair or hazel eyes met my own green ones. "Hey, it's going to be alright sweetheart. Don't worry, I bet he's okay." Aiden said taking my hand into his own.

I rested my head onto his shoulder. "Aiden, you saw the amount of blood and you saw the immense pain he was in. What if he was not alright? God, this is my fault. I should have known that he would do something like this."

"No one knows, Emma." He said stroking the top of my hand with his thumb. "Life is full of the unknown."

I sighed and looked over to the side of me and saw Ashley sitting at one of the chairs in the waiting room. "I'll be back." I said standing up. "Just give me a few minutes." I walked over to where Ashley was sitting and took the empty seat that was next to her. We were silent for a few moments until I broke the silence. "Thank you." I said.

Ashley turned her head towards me with a raised eyebrow. "I know we're not the best of friends. I know we have mutual hatred towards each other. But thank you, you saved my life by telling Aiden what you saw happened in the parking lot."

"I'm that big of a bitch as people put me out to be. I don't like you but that doesn't mean I was going to stand there and watch that happen and not do anything about. I am human after all." She said.

I nodded. "I really appreciate it. So thanks Ashley, I owe you."

"Well, there is one way you can repay me." She said smirking and I automatically knew it was moving towards the topic of Aiden.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Be safe." She said which shocked me completely. "You, Aiden and everyone else just be safe." Ashley said standing up and I nodded.

"You don't want to stick around for the results?" I asked.

"I already know the results." She said giving me a wink and a small smile. "Take care Emma. See you in school."

"You too, Ashley." I said returning her smile.

"Oh, this doesn't me I like you." She said. "This just means I hate you just a little less."

I laugh slightly. "I wouldn't have it any other way." With one last smile Ashley turned and walked out of the hospital's emergency room. I stood up and walked over to where Aiden was and sat back down in my original seat. "Where's everyone else?" I asked clearly I wasn't paying attention to what was going on around since I got here.

"They went to get some coffee and to call their parents." Aiden said grabbing a hold of my hand again and I nodded.

"How are you feeling?" I asked Aiden. Since we've got here he's been worried at me and the results but I haven't asked him how he was doing.

"I'm okay, but I will be better when I know the results." He said and I leaned over and kissed his cheek softly.

"Thank you for saving me." I said softly.