Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Brooke was sat amongst all of our friends, but of course, Jason was missing. I sat down beside her and nudged my shoulder against her's feeling a little awkward because I hadn't answered any of her calls all weekend (and the fact that her dad had came back after years of being away from herself and her mother and I had promised to let her and Patty stay with us for a while until everything settled down) and then I had left her on Friday with everyone without speaking to her before leaving. For all I knew, she could have been phoning me for help. Or advice. Or because she was worried. But I had dismissed her, telling myself she just wanted details! I'm such a bad friend!

I calmed my face down to one which I expected would be composed. I whispered only loud enough for her to hear me "everything okay?"

She turned her head slightly to look at me as though she hadn't noticed I was next to her. "Course. You?"

I smiled and she returned it but said nothing else. Something was off, and she would tell me later.

I looked ahead to try and become involved in whatever the group were talking about but I quickly noticed Peyton's drifted and sad expression. I tapped her ankle lightly with my foot and it seemed to pull her back to whatever planet she had drifted to. "what's up?" I mouthed.

She shook her head softly, attempting to compose herself but I saw straight through her act.

Other than that, Jess wad blabbing happily to Sam about random topics. He seemed to be really into her, although she was completely oblivious to this..

So Jess seemed to be happy, but everyone else was acting strange. First there was Jason: he was acting like a complete zombie this morning, pretending to be ill, although I knew him so much better than that and could see something was beating him up.

Second was Aaron: he was acting like that time at the front door a fortnight ago. When he was blabbing on about people not seeing him right and now he was telling me that Luke wasn't what everyone thought he was. But everyone thought Luke was great - which he is - and Aaron thinks he's horrible, I guess. But everyone considers Aaron as some freaky player guy, and if he claims he's not, then what is he? I pushed this dilemma out of my head, it was too confusing.

Third was Brooke: something had happened and she would tell me eventually. But what if it was bad? And what if I wasn't there for her when she needed me? I would feel terrible with myself for allowing something to happen to her.

Last but probably not last.. Since everyone seems to be taking on the strange atmosphere and acting different, and I'm sure I'll be seeing more of it ad the day goes on. But Peyton seemed distant. Like something awful had happened. She only ever became this upset when something happened with.. My mind drifted back to Jason.. Has something been going on between they two?

My mind was on the verge of falling off a very tall cliff because of all the confusion I was forcing it to try and unravel. I felt like I was in the dark about everything and I needed ti find out what was going on!

The bell eventually brought me out of my trance and I began walking off to registration with Brooke in silence.

When we made it to class and sat down, I opened my mouth to ask Brooke to explain what was going on but I was stopped when Stacey approached me with a scowl on her face and her eyes boring into my own. Was it even possible to scowl and glare at the same time? At least the bimbo was good at something other than being a bitch or giving out STDs. I had to mentally slap myself before I burst out laughing at my own joke.

"Can I help you?" I asked sweetly.

"It would help a lot if you stayed away from my boyfriend! You ruin everything!" she spat.