21. Scene of the crime

Note: Hello everyone!!!!! We are close to 7.000 reads! Thank you all so much for your support. This one is a chapter I loved writing. Believe me when I say that nothing is randomly written here. "Reign" is a circle. Every word and every action has an effect, which will be peaked in the end... From this chapter, I want you to concentrate on the main fact, of course, but mostly on the dialogue in the end... What do you think about it?

This chapter is dedicated @RJRyder. Her story "The Duke's Affair" is one of the most popular here. She was my inspiration and the one who had encourage me to start writing.                    

             21. Scene of the crime

“If you are looking for peace, don’t look for love.”

The Zahir, Paolo Coelho

A loud and continuous banging at her door forced the Queen to rub her eyes. The clock on the nightstand was showing that it was exactly 5.37 in the morning. The loud tapping forced her to get up quickly and with half open eyes, to walk to the door, barefoot and only in her black nightgown.

 “I’m coming,” she murmured sleepily and opened the door. No one would interrupt her at this hour, unless it was something political. Because of the crisis in the Middle East, some of the embassies were about to shut down for safety reasons. It must have been something like that. 

When she opened the door, she was immediately pushed aside by a bunch of armored men, who clearly belonged to the Redmonian Special Forces, an elite group of highly trained soldiers, able to handle extremely hazardous situations. She was about to protest, as the men, fully armed rushed to her bedroom and living room, but she noticed a scarlet Hudson sighing in relief in front of the door and other gunmen standing in the corridors.

“My lady, thank God you are all right.”

“What… What is going on?” The Queen asked still disorientated. The men were examining her whole chambers inch by inch with their guns ready.

“Red alarm, my Queen. Please stay here, until everything is safe. We have an intruder inside the palace, maybe more than one.”

Roselyn blinked. Intruders inside the palace? That wasn’t the first time someone was trying to break in. But the fact that the whole palace was overcrowded with Special Forces meant that something was clearly wrong.  The royal assistant seemed terrified, like he wanted to confess something horrible.

“Where’s Alexander?” she asked and felt an ominous knot in her stomach and Hudson mumbled something incoherently.

“My lady, go to your room and stay there, please. His Majesty is safe.” 

 Roselyn didn’t obey. On the contrary, she was ready to pass the assistant by and run away. Voices from across the hall, took that thought away, especially when she saw the King marching rapidly to the staircase, accompanied by two highly ranked police officers and luckily, unharmed. Almost automatically, she called his name from across the corridor. The King stared at her momentarily, but he didn't approach. He said something to the other men and disappeared with them on the elevator.

 “What is happening?” Roselyn demanded impatiently. Completely ignorant of the situation, she was starting losing her temper. Without a warning she tried to ignore and rush to the corridors, but Hudson's arms manage to grab her and put her back to place.

"I'm going where he is going. I have the same right as he."

 “My lady, I have orders to keep you here for your own safety. His Majesty is trained. He knows how to handle situations like these.”