24. Put her down

24. Put her down

James Rutherford
"Has she been here all night?"
"Yes Mr. Rutherford."
"John, how many times have I told you to call me James? Never mind. Did she get any rest?"
"I'm not sure sir. You would have to ask them." He pointed to the men that tried not to look out of place in the hall of the hospital. "You wouldn't know if she's eaten either would you?"
"No sir."
"Thank you." I sighed before pushing the door open. "Natalía." She was sitting in the chair beside the bed and looked up when I called her name. Her eyes seemed a little red, which told me she was having a battle with sleep.

"Have you slept since yesterday?"
"You got here pretty fast." I nodded. "Have you slept?"
"How can I sleep when he's like this? How can you talk about sleeping when your best friend is like this?" She shouted at me. "You should go home and get some rest. I'll stay with him."
"I'm not leaving."
"Natalía."
"I said I'm not leaving."
"At least get something to eat. Have you eaten?"
"I'm not hungry."

She was a stubborn one. Marc probably couldn't have picked anyone more stubborn. I excused myself just so I could send someone to get her a coffee and sandwich. She needed to eat and I would ensure she does. Marc would not have wanted her to starve herself because she was worried about him.

After some begging and guilt tripping using Marc's name, I finally got her to leave his side. John sat with Marc while Natalía ate. "You know that Marc being in a coma doesn't mean he would want the world to stop spinning. You must know this about him. He would want you to go to Paxton Corp. and handle business."
"How can you even think about business when your friend is lying in a hospital bed?"
"It's what he would have wanted."
"I don't care about Paxton Corp. right now."
"You should. Don't forget what will happen if he..."
"Don't you dare finish that sentence," she growled out loud.

"Mrs. Accosi?" The woman that called her name broke the hostile glare she was giving me. "She's awake." Natalía jumped to her feet. "Good. I have some things I want to say to that bitch." From the look in her eyes, I knew she was talking about Andrea. I didn't particularly care for the girl, but losing a child I understand is a very traumatic experience, especially if that child was in the womb when it died.

She stormed down the hall like a bull ready to charge. I followed her because it was clear she wasn't thinking rationally because of the situation. And no doubt she would take out her anger on Andrea. She barged into the hospital room, not bothering to knock. The nurse that was inside looked shocked, and so did the patient.

"You can't be in here. I'm about to do the patient's check up," the woman said. Natalía pushed the woman aside after barking at her to get out. "You. How dare you sit here alive and well while Marc is in a coma?"
"He's in a coma?"
"Shut up!" She held out a sheet of paper to her. "Sign it." Whether it was due to fear or being disoriented from just waking up, Andrea took the papers without question.

"A paternity test?"
"She can read. Let's have a round of applause shall we. Just hurry up and sign the damn paper." She pushed a pen into her hand. "You must be crazy if you think I'm signing this. Marc would never allow this. He knows it's his baby."
"Baby?" I gave Andrea a sad look. "What baby? There is no baby, Andrea! You lost it."

"Natalía enough."
"It's not nearly enough." She grabbed Andrea's arm. "Sign the fucking papers!"
"Let go of me you crazy bitch! This is Marc's baby I'm carrying. I don't need to prove that to anyone." Natalía let go of her arm and laughed. "There is no baby, Andrea. You can thank yourself for that."
"You're lying."
"Am I? Look at the fresh scar below your abdomen. That baby died inside of you before you even got here."
"Shut up!" She covered her ears. "You're lying. I am pregnant and it is Marc's baby."
"There is no baby!"
"Get out!"
"I'm not leaving until you sign the fucking papers."
"Get out of my room! Security! Security!"
"Natalía." I grabbed her and pulled her away. The machines around us started going off. "Let me go! She needs to sign the papers. I need to know." I dragged her from the room kicking and screaming and shouting profanities that no woman should ever know. Andrea's choked sob was the last thing I heard before the door closed behind me.