Chapter 1

Author's Note: This is a girlxgirl novel. If you don't like that kind of thing, please feel free to close this up and find another novel to read. I recommend "Living with the Walker Boys" by knightsrachel. It was amazing! Also, the first character you will meet is Iliana Fulton. I mention this because I want you to know I imagine her name being pronounced ill-e-ahna. Her nickname is Ana, pronounced Ahna. Hopefully you enjoy this!

Image is Iliana>>>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1

Iliana's POV

Why is this happening to me? I had gotten used to being ignored. It made life simpler. So why is it that all of a sudden everyone’s eyes were on me? I guess for you to understand my confusion, I’d have to start from the beginning.

I was born and raised in the small town of Hopewell, New Jersey. I spent my entire life becoming accustomed to being ignored by my peers and my parents. Attending a high school with a student population of roughly 1000, it wasn’t hard to be forgotten about. I was never called on in class, I was never picked on, I was never singled out in any way. It was blissful.

On my 16th birthday, my world came crashing down. My parents had been hit by a drunk driver and were killed on impact. Cliché, I know. But sometimes life actually does happen like in the movies. After the trial, at which the driver of the car that hit my parents was found guilty of vehicular manslaughter, I was moved to Sisters, Oregon to live with my aunt. That was some Sweet Sixteen, huh?

The town of Sisters wasn’t that bad of a place. Like Hopewell, it was surrounded by nature. At least it somewhat made me feel closer to home. My aunt and uncle lived in a nice little one-story, three bedroom house. They had spent the two weeks that I had stayed with a foster family in Bridgeton awaiting the trial preparing one of the bedrooms for my arrival. It was done up well. The walls were painted a soft lavender color and the bed was covered with a jet black quilt, lavender sheets, and one black and one lavender pillow.

Walking in, I placed my bags on the floor and flopped on the bed. Sighing, I grabbed my iPod and scrolled through my music list trying to decide what I wanted to listen to while I unpacked. Settling on some Avril Lavigne, I set the iPod on the dock allowing the music to flow softly throughout my room and got to work. I had a week to get settled in before I started school.

When I finished unpacking I walked down the hallway to the kitchen and sat at the table. “Everything alright dear?” my aunt asked me.

“Yes, Aunt Chel,” I responded quietly. Looking around I noticed my aunt’s love for the color purple flowed through the kitchen as well. There was a deep plum covering the walls and the hand towel hanging from the oven door matched the walls perfectly. There were pictures hung on the fridge that had obviously been drawn by an eight year old. “Where’s Lily?” I asked referring to their only child. I loved my little cousin. She was half my age, but we got along great. She was the younger sister I never had.

“She’s at piano practice.”

“Piano? Since when?”

“Well, about two weeks ago, she decided she wanted to learn piano. You know your uncle; he’d do anything to make her happy. So, he got her a private teacher and she’s been going to lessons twice a week.”

I smiled. Uncle Henry really loved his daughter. Between her and Aunt Chel, they were his whole world. It probably helped that he owned his own contracting business and, therefore, made a great living. They didn’t live like they had money, though. They never let it get to them. They were down to Earth, friendly people. I loved them all dearly. I felt a tap on my shoulder and looked up to see Aunt Chel smiling down at me.

“You didn’t hear a word I just said, did you?” she asked.

I smiled sheepishly. “Not really. Sorry, Aunt Chel.”

She stuck her tongue at me and repeated herself. “Your uncle wants to know if you would like to get your license before school starts.”

I hadn’t even noticed she had the phone in her hand. “That’d be great, Aunt Chel. Tell him I said ‘Thank you’.”

She nodded and went back to talking to Uncle Henry while I went back to my thoughts. I knew I would be attending Sisters High and I had looked up the homepage of the school on the computer in my Uncles home office. The student population was about 500, way less than Bridgeton High. It was going to be hard to fade into the shadows here. Hopefully I won’t have to try too hard.

I heard the front door open and a squeal as my cousin ran into the kitchen jumping into my lap. Laughing I wrapped my arms around her pulling her tightly to me.

“Ana! I’ve missed you!” She screamed in my ear.

Wincing I whispered back, “I’ve missed you too, Lily. How’s my favorite cousin?”

“I’m your only cousin, silly,” she responded, laughing. Her laugh was magical. It’s how I would imagine an Elvin child would laugh, high pitched and melodious.

I smiled at her, still sitting on my lap. “Want a snack?”

“Yes!” She squealed, jumping up.

“Shhhhh! I’m on the phone, girls,” Aunt Chel’s warning came.

We both gave her looks that said we were sorry and I dug in the cabinet grabbing the box of Dora the Explorer gummy candies. They were her favorite. Opening one of the little packets, I handed it to her and we headed to the back porch. Being surrounded by nature has its perks. It was beautiful here. I loved relaxing in the giant rocking chair (Seriously. It’s huge! It fits two people!) while Lily ran around the yard playing pretend. Today, however, she chose to sit by me and watch the sun slowly lower itself behind the trees surrounding their back yard. I guess it’s “our” back yard now. I should probably start thinking of this place as home now, right?

I looked down at Lily and gave a small smile. She had laid her head on my lap and fallen asleep. I guess her day was pretty eventful, between school and her having picked up piano.

“Girls! Dinner!” My aunt yelled through the open back door. You have to love screen doors. On days as beautiful as this it’s nice to open all the windows and doors and let the nice breeze blow through the whole house.

Shaking Lily gently to wake her up, we went in to dinner. Uncle Henry informed me I would be taking the written exam for the driving test tomorrow and he had brought me the study guide for it. After dinner, I helped Aunt Chel with the dishes then went to my new bedroom and began to read. I hate tests. Tomorrow was going to be rough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's it! That's the first chapter of the first book I've made an attempt at writing that more than just my family has seen. Hope you enjoyed it. If I can get at least 10 likes and 5 comments I'll continue, otherwise, I guess I'll try and figure out another story to tell.