Chapter 25

Katie's POV

"Oh. My. God." Lindsay said as we entered our room on the 20th floor of our hotel. All I could do was nod in agreement because seeing the expensive interior, the beautiful flower arrangements and the view over the city of Las Vegas was taking my breath away.

We had all chipped in to rent a suite for us all in the Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas. It was beautiful, very modern, with its employees reading your every wish in your eyes. I had never been to such a luxurious hotel before, just like Lindsay, whereas Lacey, Val and Kim have had the pleasure a couple of times already.

"Now what do you say? Was it a good idea or was it a good idea?" Val grinned as she pushed past us and plopped down on one of the huge cream colored couches.

"Good idea is an understatement." Lindsay said wandering through the huge living room to the two bed- and bathrooms. Chuckling Kim and Lacey sat down next to Val and since it was almost time for lunch they studied the menu that had been neatly arranged on the coffee table.

"Katie, what do you say?" I heard Val call my name.

"Hm? What?" I turned away from the huge window front that gave away a fantastic view over The Strip. It seemed like it was busier than Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles but it surely wasn't less intriguing. I hadn't listened to the girls banter. I had been too fascinated by the fact that we were in a five star hotel in Las Vegas, the city of enjoyment.

"Do you like it?" Val said softly as she came to stand beside me. I turned to look at her and smiled.

"It's amazing. Thank you." I pulled her into a tight hug, feeling like crying again. I wasn't sure if I deserved this expensive time out for I still, to a part, blamed myself for the death of my baby.

"Anything for you, babes." She hugged me back. "You know, I'm so proud of you." She said when we pulled back.

"And why is that?" I mumbled, wiping a stray tear from my cheek.

"You are so strong. It must be hard seeing the rest of us so ... happy and then River ..." She sighed heavily. "I'm so sorry for everything."

"Aw don't be." I hugged her again. "And I don't want you guys to feel bad for me. It's gonna be alright." We held one another for a long while and Val actually shed a few tears herself.

"Oh come on girls!" Linds called out, making us pull out of our hug.

"What?"

"We are here to have fun and get away from the drama. And here you are, crying your hearts out." She stood there, her hands propped on her hips, making me chuckle.

"Well, I am here to enjoy the spa treatments and food. You can go and have your fun." I said and squeezed Val's hand before going to the bedroom where my luggage was already waiting to get unpacked.

As I did so my mind drifted off again. I had nothing left back there in Huntington Beach besides my friendship with these girls. I was still unemployed, my relationship with Brian was broken and I had lost my baby. The question was: why was I still here? Wouldn't it be better if I left California and moved back to Germany? Andrew would gladly give me back my old job, he assured me that himself the day I left. Why lingering in a place that held so much misery for me?

"How's space?" I jumped when I heard Lindsay's voice from behind.

"Jesus Christ, Linds." I said, feeling my racing heart under my palm. My best friend pushed herself off the door frame and sat on the double bed we were going to share.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." I nodded and continued to unpack my clothes in silence. It was a comfortable silence though, nothing awkward.

"Have you told Brian about ... you know ...?" She asked after a while. I closed the drawer with my under- and swimwear in it and turned around lightly shaking my head.