Chapter Twenty-One

Thank you for all the comments and votes on the last chapter :) This chapter is dedicated to @NightingaleBug for the gorgeous banner on the side. Doesn't it look amazing? 

*** Contains mild swearing***

----------------------------

Chapter Twenty-One

Luke Archer

I hadn’t been so thrilled about having football practice this Sunday afternoon but now that I got it over and done with, I’m actually glad Coach made us come out here. Being on the field with the team took my mind off Jamie and everything that went down yesterday. And even though it only lasted for a couple of hours, I appreciated the brief distraction.

Jamie and I hadn’t talked since our kiss outside her mother’s café last night and as much as I wanted to call or text her, I kept reminding myself that she needed her space to straighten things out with Adam. Besides, I needed some time myself to clear things up with Aimee.

It was weird, not having to hide my feelings from Jamie anymore. Coming clean about how I felt about her had never been a part of the plan but when she went on and on about how I was a “good friend” to her, I lost it. She was the first girl to friendzone me- at least that’s what I thought she was doing at the time- and the worst part is she did it repeatedly without even realizing it herself. And there’s only so much a guy can take, you know? 

 “Nice work today, boys. I will see you all tomorrow! Don’t be late-”

“You know what you’ll get if you’re late. Oww!

Bryce earned himself a flick on the back of his head when he did a poor imitation of Coach’s voice and finished off his end-of-football practice announcement.

“Don’t do that, Coach! That’s just gonna make his brain damage worse!” Seth cackled, breaking into a run when Bryce made a lunge for him. The other guys dissolved into laughter before turning away and heading back to the locker room.

“Hey, wanna grab some pizza later? I’m so hungry that I could swallow that tree over there,” Roger said, rubbing his stomach.

“Sure, man.”

“We should make it a group thing! Call Jamie and Adam. And Aimee.”

Call Jamie, Adam, and Aimee? I couldn’t think of anything more awkward. Then again, Roger didn’t know about the current… situation. No one but Jamie, Adam, Aimee, and I did.

“Nah,” I told him, slapping him on the back. “Let’s just make it a team-bonding thing.”

Luckily, Roger didn’t ask why.

I crinkled my nose when a rancid odor traveled to my nose before we hit the locker room. It always smelled like old socks, wet dogs, and sweat, which usually didn't bother me as I'd grown used to it, but there was a new addition to the mix today.