Chapter 3

After Jason leaves I try to slow my heart rate by doing deep breathing. When I'm finally calm, I finish my salad and clean my plate before I leave the kitchen. I'm free for the day so  I decide to explore the house some more. After all this will be my home for the foreseeable future and it would be good to familiarize myself with the place so that I don't get lost.

Walking down the hallway, I find a library across from Mrs. Anderson's study. Walking inside I was surprised to see how large the library actually was. The shelves were mostly stacked with books that had to do with fashion, and I could tell that it was cleaned on a weekly basis seeing as there was not a speck of dust in sight. I hear the door open which startles me, and I drop a book. Turning around, I see the young maid who was downstairs in the kitchen with Jason before.

"Oh, sorry I didn't mean to startle you. You're the new girl Christina, right?"

"Yeah hi it's nice to meet you, what's your name?"

"April Young." April was a cute girl with a very petite frame and I could tell from her smile that she had a bubbly personality. 

"Nice to meet you April, so are you the one who cleans the library?" I pick up the book I dropped and begin to study the cover.

"Yeah Mrs. Anderson loves coming in here at the end of the day, so I make sure it's always in its best shape."

I see her stare at the book in my hand.

"I forgot to tell you don't touch the books, she says their priceless so..."

'Oh, I'm sorry," I say before placing the book back on the shelf.

I turn to face her, "hey can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"Does Jason stay here all the time?" Aprils expression becomes rigid and I wonder if I've overstepped in any way.

"You mean Mr. Anderson," she says throwing me a stern look.

"What?"

"You have to address him as Mr. Anderson since you work for him. You can't just show up here on the first day and start addressing him by his first name."

"I'm sorry, it's just that he introduced himself to me as Jason, so I didn't know I had to be proper. Plus, I don't have to since I'm not on the clock right now."

"Oh right," she says as her face sinks into a frown. If I didn't know any better, I'd say April was crushing on Jason. The tone and stern look in her eyes said enough.

"April do you have a crush on Jason?" Her head snaps up in shock, "no why would you say that?" April stutter's nervously as her face becomes flushed.

"I don't know maybe it's because you flipped out over me saying his name. You like him, don't you?" She fiddled with her fingers before sighing and taking a seat.

"You caught me. I've worked for Mrs. Anderson for five years since I first came here when I was fifteen. I was a runaway, and she took me in and gave me a place to stay. She even enrolled me in school. When I first saw Jason, I felt butterflies in my stomach. I don't know what it is about him, but I just can't seem to stay away."

"Wow, if you like him so much why don't you tell him?"

"He's never really paid much attention to me. I think he sees me like a little sister since I came here so young. He also never told me his first name personally; I found it out from Mrs. Anderson which is why I was shocked that he would tell you."

"Oh well I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize, if he wishes that you address him as Jason then you should do so."