Cursed Love Excerpt

Bexley strode through the path, the branches above swaying in the breeze, rocks digging into her bare feet. At the bewitching fragrance of oak, she smiled and grabbed the hem of her gown before pushing her legs to move faster.

She was no wolf, but she knew them well.

They loved the hunt.

So, she knew he would be no different.

All around her, snow fell and covered every inch of the forest, creating an enchanting sight. When she glanced over her shoulder, there he was, chasing after her. Against the white snow, glistening against the now dazzling sunlight, he stood out. He was a large pitch-black wolf. How could he not?

Reasons for why she had decided to call him her dark night.

Ever since she turned eighteen, she always dreamt with this mysterious wolf. She had to admit her dark night was slowly winning a place in her heart.

Even if he was just a man conjured up by her mind.

At a deep growl, she whirled around, her long scarlet hair fanning out around her before she ducked and he leaped over her, landing as light as the snow that once again had begun to fall from the now gray sky.

"Almost caught me."

She began to run once again, but this time, when she slowed her pace and turned, something hard crashed against her.

Her eyes widened as she fell back on the forest floor, the snow vanishing and the plants all around them blooming as an act of magic.

She stared at his deep brown eyes, her cheeks growing warm, the heat intensifying and spreading to her face.

Never before he had actually shifted.

Her eyes fluttered closed when he trailed his fingers along her jaw. "I caught you."

"Yes, you did." A huge smile on her face, she grasped his shoulders and pushed him back. After he got off her, he offered his hand to help her up. Apparently, in her dream, he became clothed magically, unlike the wolves in the real world.

"Why did you not shift before?" When he said nothing, she turned and began to walk. Honestly, she liked the wolf better. But at a new fragrance in the air, she halted and turned to realized that she could smell the blood coursing through his veins.

The hunger within grew to the point of agony. As if reading her thoughts, he inched closer and cupped the side of her face. His touch felt so real that sometimes she truly hoped he wasn't a figment of her dreams. She raised her hand just enough for her eyes to divert to the mark on her palm.

He noticed and grasped her wrist after stepping back. The second he turned it and caught sight of her mark, his eyes widened.

"Impossible."

Then all around her, the dream fell into complete and utter darkness before Bexley jolted awake at a heavy weight that had fallen upon her.

"What the hell!" She shoved her brother away and he chuckled.

"Sorry, but I tried over and over to wake you. You left me no other choice."

She said nothing, staring at the mark on her hand.

Grayson noticed and grasped her wrist. "Are you alright?"

She nodded. "I guess so." Then, her gaze dropped to Grayson's mark. His had appeared the second they had turned eighteen, yet he could not track down his mate. Bexley had hers since birth and she had hoped that someday, she would cross paths with her destined one, but as the years passed, honestly, they were slowly losing hope of ever finding true love.