CHAPTER TWELVE

For weeks, nothing else occurred; however, it didn't matter if Belinda had not been attacked, still either Alaric or Denarus followed her every where. Sometimes they did leave her alone, but it wasn't longer than two hours.

Belinda stood in front of her full-length mirror and turned to the side, placing her hand on her tiny bump. When she felt movement, she smiled. She loved feeling her babies moving.

The best part of being pregnant.

The first ultrasound she had attended, Fane couldn't make it. Her babies honestly looked like little aliens, and were kicking each other. Fane had explained that her pregnancy would be shorter than a human's. Still, she hadn't expected to see her babies so developed.

As promised, for her second ultrasound appointment, Fane picked her up and they headed to a small clinic where a vampire was waiting for them. As she lay down, she couldn't stop feeling nervous, worried.

She couldn't wait for the twins to be born and finally meet them, hold them in her arms.

When she saw the babies in the screen, she couldn't stop smiling as they moved like crazy. They had obviously grown, yet her bump wasn't big at all.

She just looked bloated.

During the entire ultrasound, which seemed to last hours, Fane was silent, watching everything. The vampire doctor asked Fane to accompany him and they left the room, leaving her alone.

It felt like it took forever for them to return. When they finally did, Fane held ultrasound pictures in his hand and he was actually smiling. Belinda took them from him and couldn't help smile as well.

"They's so cute! I can't wait to meet them." Fane seemed lost in thought. "Is everything okay?"

"The doctor says the babies are healthy and developing faster than expected. Right now, you are in perfect condition. No risk whatsoever, but of course, don't over do it."

"Okay, then lets go. I can't wait to show everyone the pictures."

His smile reached his eyes. "You seem happy."

"I am." She narrowed her eyes at him. "Why wouldn't I be? Is everything okay?"

He said nothing else as he stepped aside for her to exit the room. Neither spoke through the entire ride back to her house.

When she showed everyone at the house the ultrasound pictures, she was elated to see their excitement.

"Oh, wow! Baby B has big cheeks!" Her mother laughed. "They both look so big for that tiny bump of yours—My bump for you was small too, so maybe..." Her mother's smile vanished.

And Belinda knew why. Her mom was about to say that maybe the twins were girls, which was something her family feared.

"They're stubborn little ones—the doctor tried to see their genders but nope, they didn't stay still at all," Belinda said.

She set her purse on the console table and stopped when Fane didn't move. He stood in the opened doorway, clearly lost in thought. Belinda approached him and grabbed his hand, breaking him out of his thoughts.

"Stop lying to me, I know something is wrong."

He pulled his hand out of her grasped. "I'm such a fool—It is more than clear that you don't trust me."

"What are you talking about?"

His gaze fell upon the purse she had taken with her to the ultrasound. "Why else would you take that with you."