Chapter 5 - Nicolas

Laughter filled the neighborhood as the seven of us walked down the dark road, a few jack o'lanterns still lit. The sky had become pitch black, the stars slowly making their way into view. The moon had also shown in the sky, but we couldn't see it due to all the tree coverage even with its large size and great amount of bright blue light.

"That was so fun! Did you see that kid's reaction?" Gwen asked between small fits of laughter with a hand on her side.

We all bursted out laughing again, the last kid was hilarious. He had backed up against the wall after seeing Austin in the gorilla suit and acting like Godzilla. He screamed and scrambled into his home, struggling to open the door; and not to mention that he had called for his mum.

I continued to laugh, soon stopping after a few moments. A sudden thump on my backside caught me off guard, hitting an area that I particularly wanted to be hit at. "Hey!" I yelped as I turned around to see the person who had hit me. Austin was on the ground laughing like a loon. With a glare, I picked up a small rock from the sidewalk and chucked it in his direction, hitting him in the stomach with it. His hands moved immediately to the hit area, a small cry of pain escaping his mouth.

"What was that for?" he asked, his voice was a little bit weakened.

"You hit my butt, dude." I stuck my tongue out at him.

"I found a crushed 3 Musketeers candy bar on the ground and threw it at you. I didn't know it was going to hit you there."

"Oh," I said, a small laugh of embarrassment creeping through, "Sorry." I walked over to him and helped him up. He wheezed as he got up and wobbled on his feet, the streetlight making him look like a drunkard. We headed back down the street to my house, running on our way back.

"Last one in has to take the kitchen floor tonight!" Brent yelled as he bolted for the door. Tammy shoved him down and jumped over him, she reached the front door and went inside, slamming it behind her. The rest of us hurried in, me being second from last.

"Looks like you're going to sleep on the cold floor, Brent!" I joked. He just lied on the sidewalk still, a grumble coming from his direction. I shrugged my shoulders and headed inside, my mother waiting right there. She looked at me with her dark brown eyes, exhaustion written all over her face. She had a request by the way her lips were placed. "Yes, mum?" I asked.

"I'm about to go to bed, can you please take the trash out to the bin out back?" She asked. She leaned against the wall.

"But, mum..." I groaned.

"Please, your dad is out with his friends and Noah is already asleep."

"Fine," I sighed. I walked over to the large black bag sitting by the kitchen island, pulling it up by the yellow strings and walking down the hallway and opening the door to the backyard. The yard was pitch black, save for the firepit and the shed which were illuminated by the moon's silver glow. I walked up to the shed and opened the lid to the trash can, throwing it into the dark abyss.

I looked up at the moon through the trees, it was so beautiful, so much I felt like yelling in excitement. I laughed at myself for thinking that and looked back down and grabbing the upper part of my left arm. It didn't hurt which was strange, it was suppose to still hurt. I put more pressure on it, still not feeling any pain. The confusion led me to taking off the gauze and looking at the injury in the moonlight. Nothing but perfect skin.

"What the hell?" It was strange, no cut could heal that quickly on me.

A prickling feeling appeared on my hand, I looked down at my right hand, hair was appearing near the tips of my figures. It appeared silver in the moonlight, but it looked more blackish brown when I pulled it out of the moonlight. A cold chill went down my spine, leaving me unnerved.