Don't Be That Guy

Chapter Twelve
-Don't Be That Guy-

The markets were alive with people going between canvas tents and bars. It was more like a small festival then what I thought markets should be. There was homemade jewelry and clothes stalls in between the homemade jams and sauces stalls but there was also live music and bars littered down the hundred meters that was 'The Markets'. Not really interested in the crafts that were being offered, Jake and I slowly walked along down the strip, talking.
"My little sister was really upset when I left," Jake was telling me. "She made me promise that I had to come home every holidays and bring her a present," he laughed. I was quickly falling in love with his laugh. It was hearty and contagious.
"She sounds smart to me," I laughed and he rolled his eyes.
"She always looking for something, for nothing. I rang mum yesterday though and she said Amy was miserable without me."
"Your family is really close, aren't they?" I asked and he nodded.
"I miss the closeness," he sighed. "Every night, we'd eat dinner and talk about our days and stuff and even though I went through a stage where I thought I was to cool for it in high school, the closer I got to coming here, the more I started valuing them. I really miss my parents and sister," he frowned looking down at his shoes.
"I miss everyone back home. Our town is one of the places where, like, the hairdresser knows everything about everyone and there is only one set of traffic lights that are on the main road through town."
"Sounds backwards," he laughed and I rolled my eyes at him with a smile.
"It is a little but it's charming," I assured him, "It's like the whole town is your family. The stories people have about me growing up, who aren't my family is a little crazy. The Milk Bar owner's favourite story is the time my friend was making me laugh so hard, my milkshake came out through my nose. He says that the milk shot right across the room but he's full of it. Depending on who's he's telling, the distance gets further and further." Jake laughed out rightly at me.
"You were a classy young lady, huh?" he asked, sarcastically with a silly grin on his face.
"Oh yeah," I nodded, seriously. "I won Little Miss Milk Maid pageant when I was ten. Although my competition was Mrs Croths prized winning pig. She put a dress on it and everything." Jake looked at me wide eyed with alarm.
"You were in a beauty contest with... a pig?" he asked and I laughed.
"Of course not! I did not live in 'Green Acres'," I rolled my eyes at him and he laughed loudly.
"Figures. You wouldn't have beaten Arnold at a beauty pageant..." he shook his head and I glared at him.
I would have kicked Arnold's butt," I told him indignantly, "And I don't appreciate the obvious lack of belief in me." he grinned at me as we continued to walk.

Three stalls down I watched Kathy appear from the tent, a small bag in her hand. She grinned behind her and looked forward to look straight at Jake and I. She stopped abruptly and said unnecessarily loudly:
"Hey Lucy and Jake!" whoever was behind her that she had just smiled at did not appear which made me believe it was Taylor. She walked towards us quickly. "How's the date going, kids?" she asked, "I didn't know the markets were on your agenda."
"It wasn't," Jake told her, "it was an impromptu occurrence after dinner."
"Oooh. How exciting. Well. It was lovely seeing you, I'll see you later and I have to go now," she told us quickly before almost jogging off down the road. "Got to find Lockie and stuff," She called over her shoulder as she went. That didn't seem suss... Much! I shook my head as she went and Jake chuckled to himself.
"She's kind of random sometimes, don't you think?" he asked.
"You don't know the half of it," I sighed. "Try living with her," I laughed.
"Guys!" Taylor appeared out of the same tent Kathy came from. I knew it!
"Hey, what are you doing here?" I asked him, raising a single eye brow at him.
"Wooing the girls, you know how it is," he told me. His cheeky smile telling me, he knew he was busted.
"Have you seen Kathy around?" Jake asked, "We just saw her too."
"Ahh." Taylor shot me a look. "Yeah, man. She said something about Lockie or something. I don't know. It was only a second. Any-who, Have to jet! Catch ya's." And just like Kathy he half ran past us.
"He's weird too," I murmured to Jake and he frowned in agreement at me. Three seconds later I looked down at my phone to find a message from Taylor. Jake told me that he was thirsty and walked a little way off to a drink stand. I opened the message and sighed tiredly.

'Rule nine. Regret nothing'

I rolled my eyes and replied.

'You're both in trouble'

A moment later he responded.

'Rule thirty-two. Don't be that guy'

'Your rules are stupid. Just like you.'

'Rule twenty-six. You can never have too many socks.'

I gave up then, I was getting nowhere and he was having too much fun with it. Jake came back with two drinks and handed me one.
"Wasn't sure if you liked lemonade, but I got you one anyway," he told me, I shook my head with a grin.
"Lemonade is great," I assured him as we continued to walk.

We arrived back at my dorm room and sat on the garden brick wall outside the building. I took a sip of my lemonade before I glanced at him.
"Tonight was great," I told him and he glanced at me with a smile.
"I don't want it to end," He told me, looking down at his hands nervously. "Will you let me take you to dinner again soon?" He asked, looking at me hopefully. I couldn't hide the grin, even if I wanted too.
"Absolutely, I would love that," I told him, nodding. He smiled a responding smile back at me that was so brilliant it made my stomach churn. He was too perfect for his own good.
"I'll message you?" He asked, as we stood up and started walking into the building and up to my room.
"I'd be really upset if you didn't," I told him, bitting my lip.
"I know you were kind of embarrassed this morning, waking up in bed with Taylor and everything this morning, but you didn't do anything crazy last night and it didn't change my opinion of you in the slightest," He told me and my cheeks flushed as I looked down at my feet as we walked. "In fact, I liked seeing that side of you. You're crazy and fun when you have a couple drinks in you," He laughed.
"I was really worried about to tonight," I admitted. "But I figured that when you turned up at my door tonight, that you weren't really worried about it." We stopped in front of my door and looked at each other. His green eyes were a spectacle to behold as he looked at me, with a small smile lingering on his perfect pink lips. I bit my lip subconsciously as I looked at his.
"Well," He murmured, his voice rough and sexy and breath caught in my throat. This boy did crazy things to me without even trying.
"Yeah," I replied, lamely. He stepped towards me and took my hand in his, a chill running through me. I hardly knew this boy and I was reacting to him like we were in the 'Beyonce' relationship stage.

You know that relationship stage where you lose friends and family call the cops because you're M.I.A. for days at a time, because you're in bed with your newest sweetie going at it like the Energiser Bunny? I like to call it the 'Beyonce' stage because you think you're 'Crazy In Love' with the person... turns out its lust and when the daily dopamine hit you get with new romance wears off, you realise that his arse scratching and ability to fart, burp and sneeze at the same time really isn't as endearing as you first thought...

But back to Jake... oh so cute and sweet Jake...

His smile turned a little hesitant as he leant into me, obviously having watched 'Hitch' because he waited just before my face, coming 90% of the way and letting me close the remaining 10% left if I felt I wanted to, like the gentleman I knew he was. I couldn't help the small smile as I closed my eyes and felt him relax as my lips met his. His perfect, perfect, warm, sweet lips. It was a small, still, honest kiss. Just enough to show we were both interested but knew getting raunchy could possibly ruin it all before we were ready for it to end. I squeezed his hand as he pulled back from me, unable to smile for the only fact that the butterflies in my stomach were currently going mental. Jake pulled back and his smile slowly rose up his face.
"Goodnight Lucy," He murmured, stroking the back of his finger down my cheek and I blushed like nothing else at his intimate touch.
"Goodnight Jake," I replied and let go of his hand so he could walk down the hall and out of the building. His walk was relaxed and like he was in his own world as he put his hands in his pockets as he walked away.
"Jesus Christ," I murmured to myself, putting my head against my room door. Not wanting to go into the room just yet.
"I know I'm amazing, Luce... but I wouldn't go that far," I heard from behind me and confusion reigned supreme in my head as I turned to face the guy that just spoke to me.
"What are you doing here?" I asked and he shrugged.
"I've missed you like crazy," He admitted. "I thought you might want to see me too?" He asked and I mentally shook myself.
"Yeah, of course Trent. You're just the last person I expect to be here," I told him as I quickly hugged him. I felt him squeeze my waist as he breathed me in.
"Lord, I've missed you so bad," He told me and I felt a twang of guilt that I hadn't really even thought about him this past week as he was my boyfriend for two years and we, pretty much, had only just broken up...