Chapter 3

They drove in silence all the way to the motel, it was already dark out, she waited in the car as he went in to pay for the room, he came back out with a key, and motioned for her to follow him. She got out of the car and followed him to the room.

"You're not gonna like this, but it's all they have left."

He opened the door to a room with one king bed. She took a step back.

"I can't, look I can't sleep in the same room with someone else let alone in a bed with you,"

"It's alright-"

"No it's not alright! Under no circumstance is this alright, you're a stranger, I just met you today, you literally dragged me all the way here and to top it all off I have problems, I can't sleep in here!"

She started to take a step back but he caught her wrist and looked straight into her eyes.

"You need to relax, there's no other place that you can sleep so now get into this room."

"You're so annoying," she jerked her hand out of his and walked into the room and straight into the bathroom.

A few minutes passed and when she came out, Rick was lying on the bed watching TV. He stared casually into the TV set as she walked over to him.

"So, now what,"

"Hungry?" he looked at her.

She nodded.

"Come on, let's go find a place to eat." He sat up, turned off the TV and threw on a leather jacket.

"Rick, I don't feel comfortable, letting you pay for me all the time."

"I do, so it's fine, you can pay me back by showing me some appreciation and just going along with it."

"It's just hard for me to believe that you're just willing to do all this for me and ask for nothing in return."

"I did ask for something, and that's for you to just be appreciative, besides, I could use some good deeds in my life"

"Okay, but I will pay you back. As soon as we get to my aunts."

"Whatever you say, let's go."

The drive to the diner was a short and silent one. As they stepped inside, she couldn't 't help but notice how Rick took charge in every thing he did, no matter how small the gesture; opening the door of the diner for her, signaling the hostess for a table as soon as they'd stepped in. Leading Jennifer towards the table with his hand on her lower back, stopping her with a slight tap when they'd reached a table of his liking. It was like he was calculating every small move before he made it. She liked it more than she wanted to admit, even to herself. She wasn't as deliberate in her life as Rick was, only observant. Even now, as their waitress came to greet them, Jennifer didn't miss the look she gave Rick and the way her eyes lingered on him.

"We'll need a few moments, for now, a beer for me, and," he looked at Jennifer.

She looked at him for a moment and then looked at the waitress, "I'll have one as well."

"She means she'll have a water."

The waitress nodded, smiled and walked away as Jennifer rolled her eyes at him.

"Don't try that again." he looked back into his menu.

"God, I haven't seen one of those looks in a while," she looked into her menu.

"What look?" he put his menu down and looked a her.

"Oh, you know, the one she gave you."

"Not following," he leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms over his chest as if ready to hear an explanation.