Chapter 24: The Ball

Vincent

It's been almost five days since I came home, yet it wasn't a good feeling. You'd think I'd feel happy, hell, I should be bloody excited about being home from the hospital and constant therapy sessions, but I'm not.

I planned on falling out of love with Shadé and moving on with Melanie. But, no, she just wanted to make my life utter hell by telling me she's having twins! Fucking twins! That put so much more pressure on myself as I couldn't help but think about how difficult it will be for her to raise, not just one child, but two. I know I said I was going to be there for our child, but now she's having children! I definitely had to be there, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. She can say she doesn't need me, but my children do.

Of course, I am going to be there for my other child with Melanie. Don't think I forgot about my own fiancée and child.

Melanie and I have been very lovey-dovey lately. She's been kissing and holding me a lot more than she normally would, but I don't know, I think she just missed me a lot.

As I stood up from my sitting position on the bed, my door abruptly opened, revealing a made-up Melanie. She looked absolutely stunning in her light pink gown. Her blonde hair was pulled up in some kind of stylish hairdo. I find it complex as to how these hairstylist are able to create such a hairstyle.

"Hello, Love," I greeted as I pecked her on her dark red lips, probably leaving my lips nearly the same color.

"Vinny, your mother is looking for you. They're ready to announce your return," she reminded, looping her arm through mine and beginning to pull me out of the room.

I pulled back and reached for my white tie. It is evening, so it would be only appropriate to wear an evening dress.

As we headed toward the ballroom, Melanie began to compliment me on how good I look.

"My, my future-husband sure does look very handsome tonight. Who are you looking good for," she said with a sign of laughter.

I looked down at her and smirked. "No one in particular," I answered, slowly looking away.

That emitted a small giggle from her. I wish I could make Folashadé giggle like that again.

Thinking about her nearly brought down any energy to even attend this ball. But before I could object, we entered the ballroom through a secret entrance so none of the other guests would see me.

My father and mother were watching intently from the balcony. Melanie and I joined them, overseeing the luxurious ball.

But, then, something caught my eye.

"Mother, father, who the lad is dancing with Genny," I asked, offensively.

"Really, Vincent? It's just Richard. She's had a crush on him for quite a while," my mother commented as if it was nothing.

My father and I snapped our heads in disbelief at her words. "A crush," we said simultaneously.

"Mother, she's too young for a crush," I commented as I gestured to the two dancing away.

"Vinny, she's sixteen, she's legal. If he asks her out, you have no say so in any of it," I heard Melanie say beside me.

"What?! What is wrong with you women? Some men can be very heartless and I don't want my sister's heart to be broken," I said, remembering how hurt Shadé looked a few days ago. I guess you could say I was using myself as a reference, but I didn't care; I'm not a saint.

"Nothing is wrong with us, just as there is nothing wrong with Genny dancing with a harmless lad," my mother said.

"Yeah, don't get your knickers in a twist, Vinny," Melanie giggled as I glared. She quickly pecked me on the lips, probably hoping it'll lift my spirits.