Chapter 34

Haiden leaned back to avoid the tip of a blade. It swished harmlessly past him, cutting through the air. He felt a wave of admiration for the opponent he was fighting. It was a rider whose lack of a helmet revealed a bald head, brown eyes, and a scar running from his right eye down to his upper lip. His large red dragon showed the same amount of skill and determination as his rider. Both Haiden and Fury were delighted to find more of a challenge in them than the other riders they had faced so far. Fury dodged a ball of fire and returned one of his own.

Around and below them graduates and a few remaining Academy students fought but, Haiden's forces still had the upper hand. The fact was that the Academy riders and dragons were exhausted from the battle. Once again, their numbers were falling steadily.

Haiden twisted in his saddle, dodging another blow from his opponent's sword.

Not bad, he thought. How much longer do you think he can keep it up?

Fury snorted in reply. He twisted in the air and struck the red dragon with his tail. They're both already tiring. They must have come with the first group from the Academy, the black dragon noted as Haiden and the man locked blades.

The man's eyes flashed with hatred. It amused Haiden more than anything.

I wonder if he knows he's about to die, he thought as he pushed the other man's blade away. From the way he fights he seems certain that he can achieve something. I don't see why they don't learn that there's no hope. He ducked his head and the blade once again swung harmlessly over him. Haiden smirked. No one can match me. Can't they see that we'll always be superior?

Why don't we stop playing and just rid the Lands of them? Fury interrupted Haiden's thoughts. He was referring to the dragon and rider they were fighting.

A little grouchy aren't we? Haiden sighed as he and Fury pushed the man and red dragon back.

I don't take pleasure in delaying the inevitable. I just want to face the white dragon and get it over with. This has been going on long enough, Fury retorted as he dodged.

Haiden let out a regretful sigh. He pulled his sword back and attacked his opponent with new vigor. He threw his left hand out, sending a ball of fire at the rider. As expected, the man dodged it. Yet, it had done its job and distracted him, making him lose sight of Haiden's sword for a split second. That was all Haiden needed to plunge the sword deep into the man's chest while Fury sliced open the dragon's belly, ripping the armor off and getting to the tender skin. The dragon let out a scream of pain.

"A pity," Haiden said as he stared into the man's eyes. "You would have fared better had you fought on my side." With that he pulled his sword free and watched as dragon and rider plummeted towards the ground. Both would die either from the fall or their injuries, Haiden couldn't care less. To him, they had already ceased to exist.

He approaches. As Fury said it his head snapped over to the direction in which the white dragon had disappeared in earlier. He landed on the battleground below, not bothered by the groaning rider in red that lay half buried beneath the dead red dragon.

"Finally," Haiden breathed. Just like his dragon's eyes, his own were glued to the horizon. Soon enough he caught the distant shape of a dragon flying towards him. He smiled, but as the dragon grew closer his smile faltered. There's something different. He could feel it in the air.

Wanting to take a closer look, his used his dragon's sight. That was when he saw it. The dragon coming towards them was a snow white, a shade whiter than he had been when he left.