Chapter Four

Richard stared at me with cold, unfriendly eyes, his handsome face distorted in annoyance.

            “It’s rude to stare,” he stated.

            There were bells ringing in my ear, playing a tune of their own, as I blinked slowly at him. He had a strong jaw, which ticked, as his lips pressed in a stern line. I exhaled a deep breath, not knowing why my heart drummed like raindrops against a window pane. What was it about him that made it impossible to look away?

            When his fingers snapped before my face, I jumped, my heart pounding at the shock. It felt as though I was awakened from a deep sleep, as I shook my head, my cheeks heating.

            “Oh…um…I’m sorry,” I mumbled, staring at the ground.

            My face boiled hot, and I felt like an idiot for gaping at him so shamelessly.

            He sighed, as though exhausted.

            “You’re James’s fiancé, right?”

            It took me two seconds to process his question, and when it registered through my mind, I snapped my gaze to his, my eyes bulging.

            “His what?” I asked. “I’m sorry…I think I heard you wrong—“

            “You heard me right,” he stated, his tone clipped. “We can stand here and chat all day long, or get to the venue. I…I owe my brother a favor. So, either you come with me, or I drag you along.”

            My eyes narrowed, as the colors of this new stranger burst through, spoiling my image of him.

            The sun shined down along the street, as people passed, ignoring us. I was glad there were no onlookers staring at our conversation, but for some reason, I wished someone would get me out of here- out of this weird situation, with this man telling me strange things.

            I placed my hand on my hip, staring defiantly at him, my chest rising and falling.

            “Now, look here,” I said. “You can’t drag me anywhere. I don’t care what you owe James, you can’t just order me around like—“

            He shot me a condescending stare, his eyes roaming up and down my body with an unimpressed expression plastered over his handsome face.

            “Forgive me,” he stated.

            “For what?” I demanded.

            He raised a brow, his eyes, still stone cold and expressionless.