Chapter 10 *

A week later I was at Alyssa’s apartment. I was still really upset, but I didn’t want to show it. I forced myself to leave my apartment and come over here for one thing. I was fine. I really was.

            I wish I was just able to convince myself that.

                        “You okay?” Alyssa asked bringing me a bowl of ramen. We were sitting on her couch watching a movie. I took the bowl from her and stirred it a little bit.

                        “Yeah…” I mumbled.                                        

                        “Do you want to talk about it?” Alyssa asked softly.

                        Did I? I had a feeling it would make me feel better if I did. I hadn’t talked to very many people lately. I felt like I was just being overdramatic, but it did hurt, knowing that I was being lied to by the guy I really liked.

                        “Do you?” Alyssa asked when I didn’t respond. I took a spoonful of my ramen and tried to think straight.

                        “Okay,” I said when I was ready. Alyssa took the remote and turned off the TV.

                        “Go ahead,” she smiled at me, trying to make me feel better. Her arm wrapped around the back of the couch that we were both sitting on.

                        I sat cross legged facing her. “I don’t know… I thought he actually liked me…” I shrugged and looked down at my lap.

                        “I know…” she whispered.

                        “I mean what was I thinking though? Harry Styles actually liking me? I am literally nothing compared to him.”

                        “Well, I thought he liked you too… But I mean, I guess it just didn’t work out.”

                        I bit my lip and nodded, not knowing what to say.

                        “Guys are stupid…” Alyssa shook her head. “That’s why I’m single.”

                        “But…” I felt the threat of tears coming on. I put my bowl on the coffee table and put my knees up to my chest. “I really like him,” I whispered, resting my chin on my knees.

                        “I know…” Alyssa said softly. “I saw the way you looked at each other.”

                        I put my forehead in my knees. “I just want to know if it’s something I did,” I whispered, sniffling a little bit.

                        “Maya, it’s not. You didn’t do anything. It was all Harry’s fault.”

                        I took a deep breath. “But, what if it is? She was prettier than I am…”

                        “Maya don’t say that…” Alyssa sighed and rubbed my arm.

                        “She was though,” I lifted my head up and sniffled again. “And here I am in my stupid sweatpants and t-shirt almost in tears.”