Chapter 44

Chapter 44

All of a sudden, biglang tumawa 'yung isang kapatid ni Fier. It was a mocking laugh, I was certain of that. Kahit nasaktan ako, pinilit kong 'wag na lang pansinin. Ano pa ba ang silbi ng pride sa ganitong panahon? Right, my priority was to keep Fier in the country so screw pride.

Sometimes, people choose pride over what's really essential. That's just a foolish decision pretending to be something wise. So yeah, right now you would feel good because you satiated whatever your ego tells you what's good but give it some time, you'd feel something hollow within you. You just let go of something important. And once you let go of that one special thing, there's no assurance that you can chase it back. Because there's this possibility that someone has seen its importance and boy, there's just no turning back in real life.

"Are you crazy?" tanong niya sa akin. His eyes were scrutinizing and mocking me at the same time. It was degrading, really, but I got to swallow every goddamn pride I had inside my body.

I took a calming breath and shook my head. "Seryoso ako. Hindi pwedeng umalis si Fier. Please."

I may seem hopeless and pathetic but should I care about that? It was a tug of war between love and obscurity. And honestly, it was insane. Hindi ko din alam kung bakit ko 'to ginagawa but I just had to... It felt like I would lose all my senses kung hindi ako gagawa ng paraan.

The other brother looked at me and shook his head.

"Chance, una na ako sa loob," he said and then started walking. But then, he stopped for a bit when he passed by me. "Masasayang lang ang effort mo, Alys. Mas matigas pa sa bato 'yan," he whispered in my ears and then walked away. His voice sent shivers down my spine. It was frightening enough and him adding on to that made everything just worse. Thank you, Lourd.

Seemed like what I was doing was close to a suicide mission but what the hell. This needed to be done and I'd do it.

"Ano ba ang dapat kong gawin para pumayag ka?" I asked, half minding that I was actually making a deal with the devil right at this very moment.

He shrugged and then leaned back on his shiny car. His eyes spelled dangerous but it was a game I was willing to play. Anything for Drake right at this very moment.

"Will you be willing to let go of Drake?"

My jaw fell.

"What? No!" I exclaimed. I would do everything but that! God knows how much I had suffered para lang makarating kami ni Drake sa puntong 'to. Gagawin ko na lahat ng katangahan pero hindi 'yung iwan siya. Ang nagagawa lang naman ng paghihiwalay sa amin ay ang gawin kaming parehong malungkot at desperado. I should know because I have lived the experience.

He, then, shrugged. "Then shut up. Alam mo para kang tanga. Aalis na yung kapatid ko para mag-give way pero ikaw pa 'tong humaharang."

Nagsimula na siyang maglakad pero ako na naman 'tong parang tanga gaya ng sabi niya, hinabol siya.

"Hindi naman sa ganun. Paano na lang yung anak nila kung hindi niya makikilala si Drake?" I tried to sound as reasonable as I could be. It was a useless attempt. This guy looked like he's used to having things his way. Pero not this one. Not at the expense of me and Drake being apart. Hindi ko na kaya. Those four years were torture enough.

Hindi siya huminto sa paglalakad. Talking to this man was exhilarating.

"21st century na, Miss. Mabubuhay yung pamangkin ko kahit hindi magpakita 'yang asawa mo," sabi niya at saka iniwan ako ng tuluyan.

I watched him walk away, unable to do anything at all. Siguro nga tama siya na makakaya naman ni Fier kahit wala si Drake. Pero paano si Drake? Hindi ko alam kung maibabalik ko pa siya sa dati. He's too broken now. God, I just hope he wasn't too broken to be fixed... My heart would be devastated.