My mind came back to reality and wondered what my water abilities had to do with anything so I let her continue. “Well, Abled University is the university your parents and I went to when we were younger. It’s the university for the Abled – people with extra-ordinary abilities.” Serena explained. “You didn’t have to apply for the university because it was always planned that you were to go attend Abled University.”

I didn’t say anything. I just sat on the sofa letting all this new information sink in: I was going to go to the university my parents went to. Maybe I could find out more about them? I felt my heart beat faster in excitement at being able to learn more about this side of my parents. I’d always been curious about them and would always ask Troy and Serena to tell me stories about them. They would tell me anything about them yet they always managed to avoid answering any questions about my parents’ abilities.

 “Well then I’m definitely going” I smiled, “I wouldn’t ever pass the opportunity to make my parents proud, even if they’re not here.”

***

The weeks passed quickly and before I knew it I was all packed and ready to leave home and move into Abled University. I was lucky enough that the university was only a few hours drive away so I would still be able to visit Troy and Serena from time to time.

“I can’t believe you’re leaving! You’re growing up so quickly! Oh my little Valerie!” Serena was crying and hugging my head as she started recounting the days when she first saw me as a baby. I shot a panicked look at Troy with an expression that screamed ‘GET HER OFF ME!!! SHE’S A BLOODY NUTCASE!!!’

I was still trying to pry Serena’s fingers from my face as she began sobbing about my first day of school and Troy just stood by laughing at us and taking photos on his camera.

“Serena! For heaven’s sake, she’ll be back when she’s on holidays, let the poor girl go!” he laughed and blew a raspberry on the side of her neck. She squealed, successfully letting me go, and hit Troy on the shoulder.

“Oh my God! I can breathe!” I cried dramatically sucking in air.

“You guys are bullies” Serena pouted with a ghost of a smile playing on her lips.

I smiled and gave her a hug. I’d miss Troy, of course, but Serena and I were closer and she was really more of a sister than a mother-figure. She’d been my best friend for years and now I was moving away to a place where I knew no one, starting completely fresh. My nerves were buzzing through me and yet at the same time excitement course through my veins.

“I’ll come back on my holidays, I promise!” I gave both of them a kiss on the cheek and hopped into my red convertible. Serena and Troy had bought it for me for my eighteenth birthday which would be in a few days and since I was spending it away from home they surprised me earlier. It wasn’t brand new. It was a car that I would say had ‘character’.

“Love you guys! Keep Serena in check Troy, I’m handing over the responsibility to you!” I laughed as Serena pouted again. Troy waved at me with a smile and cuddled Serena from behind linking his fingers together and resting his head on her shoulder.

I started the engine and drove onto the road. I glanced into the side mirror and felt my heart clench at seeing my godparents grow smaller and smaller the farther I drove. When they finally were too far to see, I sucked in a big breath and exhaled finally realising that I was on my own.

***

“Wow...”

That was all I could say when I drove up to the university. It was a huge! The old building reminded me of the school in X-Men where all the ‘gifted’ people went. I snorted, well that was just ironic, I thought. It stood tall and was built of grey bricks that had crumbled slightly over the years and had vines creeping up between the cracks. It looked as though it was from another era altogether.