40. Living in Whitefield & Krishnashtami in Parthi - Sept 1985

Living in Whitefield & Krishnashtami in Parthi

August 29 – September 14, 1985

Whitefield, Karnataka

Dear Ones,

Boo! :-)

 When I got to Mysore, I got some tourist info. Just looking around the place (hotel) I was staying, I could see several huge government buildings, a palace and a medical college. I could visit a silk factory or sandalwood factory… plenty to do. I rested that day, then the next morning was disheartened with all the materialism soo… packed up and left on next available train (10:30 AM) to Sri Bangalore. It was good being on a train again.

 Every since the Gandhi film, I knew I’d someday travel on a train in India. This mind would over and over remember the scene in the movie where Sri Gandhiji was traveling on the train, beautiful Indian landscape passing by, and sitar music playing in the background. Joy! Somehow, whether in train, bus, van, car or taxi, the pleasure of seeing the Indian landscape passing by removes any ill feelings or inconveniences. India ki jai! :-)

Anyway, arriving Bangalore (4-hour ride). What to do next? The idea of another worldly city hotel made me sick, I couldn’t do it. I remembered there were places to stay in Whitefield, near Sai’s Mandir (which had bhajans every night). Eventually I got a bus, a 45-minute bus ride to Whitefield. A “chance” meeting with a lady just coming out of the Mandir complex, told me about rooms/places to stay available.

Soo, a “cottage” just happened to be vacated, so it was decided I’d take it. It took two days to recover the key from the former occupants, during which time I stayed with the lady who told me about the cottages, Madhuri. It was like living with Sis – she loved to cook and serve people. (She’s Indian, living in South Africa, super-rich, now wants to settle in India.)

Ours is a compound of nine cottages, surrounded by a low wall. Each “cottage” is one large, large room, a bath/shower room and a kitchen. The “kitchen” has a counter and sink-area; you’re expected to provide the ‘stove’ (usually a kerosene cooker). Charming, my own home! Ahhh… to settle down – joy! 

The surrounding area is quiet, an ashram-like feeling. There are small ‘houses’ scattered here and there. This is the field-area right behind the Sai Mandir and college/hostel buildings. I can see Sai’s “house” from our complex gate.

Right across from me is an Indian family. They have a noisy, energetic 3-year old daughter (4 in November). I thought – great, it will be a good chance to test my equanimity in all situations. This child likes to barge into my room and roam about, picking up my books, pen or clock, and talking loudly all along, in some Rajastani language. I keep my peace and, like any good Indian, let her go on and do whatever she wants. Contentment in all situations! Good test by Sai (but for a whole month?!!).

Sometimes I'm sitting outside enjoying the fresh air, when she comes up, snatches my book, sits down beside me, and proceeds to "explain" the book to me. She’s really smart – her mother has taught her the English alphabet and numbers, soo, she goes around yelling sometimes, “A for apple! E for elephant!! 24, 25, 26, 27…!!!” and then talks on and on in Rajastani. Good, I can take it.

Another thing is ‘pani’ (water). The water comes, usually, only once a day (at 3 PM), and then for only a short time (one or two hours). You have enough time to fill up your buckets used for the next 24 hours. Madhuri has lent me one large bucket – the water in it must last me 24 hours each day. This means for my daily bath, washing dishes, washing clothes and flushing the toilet. This has been good for me cuz before, I had always said, “I'm unattached! Take away all food, sleep, all possessions, but let me have my water!” So now it’s like, Sai has cut that last bond, so to speak. Now I must do on what He gives me!