Chapter 7

I stormed through the empty halls, unsure of where I was going exactly. I wandered the halls for a while before heading out onto the football fields that I knew would be wiped clean of students. I followed my secret path that lead to a secluded under the bleachers. I ducked my head under and tried weaved in and out of the bars under them.

Once I was safely in my hiding spot, I pulled out my sketch book and began to furiously draw. I don't know why but sketching has always been my escape. It calmed my nerves and gave me a peaceful vibe. When Tyler was in the hospital from being in a car crash, I drew him smiling and laughing. When I failed a test, I drew my high school graduation. And every single time my dad beat me or Tyler, I drew my mother.

It seemed that my father blamed everything on me. Everything. He blamed me when he trashed the house in a drunken rage. It was my fault, he drank. He blamed me when he lost his job. It was my fault he couldn't concentrate. But what really hurt the most was that he blamed me for my mother leaving us. It was my fault for being a cranky toddler.

Tears formed in my eyes. I pressed harder onto the paper, trying to keep them from falling.

I had never imagined her like that. From the stories I've heard from Tyler and people who knew her, they always said how happy she was. The person I've heard about couldn't be the same one who got up and left us without a second thought.

I continued to sketch, a person starting to take shape. I closed my eyes and held onto my only memory that I had of her. One with her smiling down at me, making strange baby noises that she thought I understood. Honestly, she sounded like a whale.

A small smile began to creep its way slowly onto my face. I don't even know if this memory is even real, but its all I've got.

I looked down and saw her smiling face. Tyler says I'm starting to look like her but I can't see that happening. I have rough brown hair and she has luscious golden hair. My lifeless dark eyes and her glowing teal ones. Her smile that made you want to grin back at her, and me baring my teeth in hopes of it passing off a decent smile.

By now, tears were rolling down my face. I wiped them away, trying to stop the flow. Imagine if someone came and found me here like this, so vulnerable. I flipped to another page and began to draw absentmindedly.

My mind drifted to the many times my father had abused me and my brother. I shuddered and tried to block out the ghastly memories. No matter how many times it happened, I still remember every punch, every feel of pain, every tear. I remember all the times I screamed at him to stop, stop hurting me, stop hurting Tyler.

Tyler had once tried to fight back, but he ended up with a glass beer bottle smashed into his head and a broken arm. I was lying right beside him in the hospital with similar injuries. I remember we made the nurses pull our beds right next to each other, and we held hands, never letting go.

 I desperately tried to pull myself back into the present, only to find that I drew a beaten lifeless Tyler sprawled out on our kitchen floor.

I turned the page quickly so I wouldn’t have to look at it anymore. I gave a big sigh and put my head in my knees. I sat back up and drew the empty field, being very precise to where each blade of grass stood up.  Another half hour passed and I still wasn’t finished. I knew I had to go, I mean school was bound to let out soon. But, I was determined to finish.

Time apparently flew by because the next thing I know, the sky is darkening. Luckily, I have only a few final touches to make, and that will only take a couple minutes. Once I finish, I wince at how dark it has become.

I retrieve my phone from my bag and find that it’s already 7:20. Alice is gone and I don’t have a ride. I groan and am secretly terrified of having to walk through the streets in the dark.

I call Alice 5 or 6 times, but each one goes directly to voice mail.  I sigh and stare at my phone.

That’s when I realize I have 34 missed calls and 21 new messages. I open it up and find numerous calls from Noah, and a few from Tyler.

I gulp and call Noah, hoping Tyler will never get to hear about this. Noah picks up on the second ring.

“Amber? Where are you?! Are you okay? Do you need me to call an ambulance? Tell me where you are, I’ll send one over right about!” He shouted into the phone. I would have laughed if his voice didn’t sound so frantic.

“Noah, calm down. I’m fine, I just lost track of time,” I replied, hoping he wouldn’t pressure me farther on what I was doing. He let out a huge sigh.

“Where are you?” He asked sounding angry. I felt like crying at the tone he used.

“I’m at the school,” I said quietly. I heard the line click shut. I dropped my hand from my ear and climbed out into the open.

I didn’t have to wait very long, in a matter of minutes I saw Noah pull into the school. He jumped off and ran towards me.

“Noah!” I called out in relief. I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to see him. I jumped up into his arms and wrapped my arms around his waist. I felt him tense at first but then relax.

I buried my head into the crook of his neck.

“I’m sorry,” I croaked, pulling back to stare into his eyes. He gave me a half-hearted smile.

“It’s okay. Just don’t scare me like that again,” He said sincerely. I nodded.

He started to walk but I unwrapped my legs so I could walk on my own feet. He actually looked a little disappointed, which nearly made me laugh. I stopped in front of his vehicle and froze.

“Noah! Thank you so much!” I cried grinning widely. He looked confused but gave me the smile that he let only me see.

“No motorcycle,” I chirped happily, making him burst out laughing. I opened the door and climbed in. He got in the driver’s side a few seconds later. He started the car, making the car rumble slightly.

It was strangely relaxing so I leant my head against the window and closed my eyes. And before I knew it, I fell into a deep peaceful sleep.

You know how this works, answer right = early upload

WHAT IS MY FAVORITE BOOK ON WATTPAD?????????????

Thanks for reading <3 <3 <3