Chapter 11 | You're A Tad Bit Transparent

“You meet thousands of people and then you meet one person and your life is changed forever.” – Love and Other Drugs

“What have I ever even done to make you hate me so much?” I ask my mother, angrily stabbing the piece of toast on the plate in front of me with a fork.

“I do not hate you and for you to suggest that I do is just ridiculous,” She tells me from where she’s sitting across from me at the kitchen table.

“Then why won’t you at least consider cutting my sessions with Dr. Fontana down to only like, once or twice a month or something?” I ask her.                                                                                  

“Because I am your mother, Sawyer,” She simply supplies, as if I didn’t know that already. “I know what’s best for you and this is what’s best.”

“I know that you think I’m crazy, mother, but I’m not and I have much more important things to do with my time than to see a psychiatrist daily.”

“No, you don’t,” My mom corrects me. “You don’t even do anything outside of school, so it’s not like therapy is taking you away from anything.”

“What are you talking about? Mother, I do have a job, you know,” I remind her, taking the fork out of my toast before stabbing through it again.

“Sawyer, you only work like, three days out of a week at most,” She responds, giving me a pointed look, taking a long sip from her orange juice.

“Well, yeah, but still—I’m a teenager and I like to lay around the house after school and be lazy when I don’t have to work,” I reply to her statement.

“And I understand that. By the way, I know that you’re not crazy,” My mom tells me, looking down at her watch. “One day, you’ll thank me for this.”

“I seriously doubt that,” I mumble with an annoyed eye roll as I take a sip from my glass of apple juice and then go back to stabbing the piece of toast.

“Doubt all you want—I know the truth,” She assures me, standing up from the table and putting her dishes into the dishwasher. “Now, I have to go before I’m late for work,” She informs me.

“See you later,” I sigh, irritably running my fingers through my hair once I realize that I have yet again lost the battle. Every time I have this conversation with my mother, I always lose.

“Please go see Dr. Fontana after school like you’re supposed to,” My mom pleads, walking over to me and leaning down, kissing the top of my head. “I love you and have a good day.”

“I love you too,” I murmur as she grabs her purse and car keys before making her way out of the kitchen. Like I said, my mom and I usually get along pretty well but she’s so stubborn.

Today is Monday, which obviously means that I have school, which is so unfortunate because I’m really, really sleepy, thanks to Aspen forcing me to go shopping with her yesterday. Also because of the fact that I didn’t go to bed until around 3:30 a.m., because I’m an idiot and wanted to stay up and watch Netflix. Not to mention the fact that it’s snowing and I absolutely hate driving in the snow because it’s really difficult and it makes me so incredibly anxious. Even more so than I hate driving in the rain, which is really saying something because I hate that a lot too.

On the flip side though, I’m kinda happy that it’s Monday, because it’s not just any regular old Monday—it’s the last full day of school before the Winter Break. It’s really stupid, I think, to have the last full day of school for the year to be on a Monday but the school administration is full of idiots, so I’m not surprised. Technically, we have school tomorrow and Wednesday too but they’re only half-days because we just come and take our midterms and then leave, so they don’t really count.